Alerts not disappearing?

Another update. The way the alerts are currently working is the default behavior of our community software.

A given alert is marked as read when you a) view the actual piece of content by clicking on the alert and going to the actual piece of content... OR by clicking the little DOT on the alert that core XF adds to each alert to mark that specific alert as READ.

If there is a RED NUMBER with the BELL, either the viewing user has not yet actually physically viewed the piece of content OR they have not manually marked that specific alert as read. This is a new feature of as of the last update because alerts were being marked as READ when the content was never actually being viewed (so people thought they had already read something when they didn't... which has been an ongoing issue / complaint for years).

So, the Items Indicator on the BELL will go away, however, the alerts themselves are NOT marked as "READ" automatically anymore. Alerts are no longer auto-marked as read via the Alerts Dropdown. Each Alert can now be manually marked as read and of course, when actually viewing the piece of content (the actual page that the alerts is associated with), that will mark the alert as read.

I did not get an alert for either of these:
View attachment 2539618
Just to make sure we're on the same page:

This is actually how the system should be working (if I'm understanding what you are saying) since discussion threads do not send out individual alerts for EACH POST. Only 1 alert is sent out since the LAST TIME the user VIEWED the thread, so you see in this 2nd screen shot, you received an alert that a new post has been made in the thread since your last visit. The 2 posts made in your 1st screen shot were also made since your last visited, so you're only going to receive ONE alert based on the date/time you last viewed the thread.

This was done to stop prevent people from receiving 1000's of alerts (and or emails) in a very active thread.

In the past as I read an alert it would drop off the alert list. That no longer happens. Now the alerts go to the bottom of the list and say Mark unread. The number on the bell icon does go down as I read the alerts but the alerts don't drop off of the list as I read them like they have in the past and when I read the last alert it would say that I have no new alerts and there wouldn't be any more on the list until I got a new alert.

A new thing on my alerts this morning. Now the list is still there but it doesn't say Mark read or Mark unread under the alerts. Prior as I read them they would say Mark unread but now it doesn't say either under the alert as I click on them and read them and still don't drop off of the list. I don't know if this helps the explanation.

Attachments

• ScreenshotAlertNew.jpg
    ScreenshotAlertNew.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 4
  • ScreenshotAlerts2.jpg
    ScreenshotAlerts2.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 3
  • ScreenshotAlertBell.jpg
    ScreenshotAlertBell.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 3
Just to make sure we're on the same page:

This is actually how the system should be working (if I'm understanding what you are saying) since discussion threads do not send out individual alerts for EACH POST. Only 1 alert is sent out since the LAST TIME the user VIEWED the thread, so you see in this 2nd screen shot, you received an alert that a new post has been made in the thread since your last visit. The 2 posts made in your 1st screen shot were also made since your last visited, so you're only going to receive ONE alert based on the date/time you last viewed the thread.

This was done to stop prevent people from receiving 1000's of alerts (and or emails) in a very active thread.
Yes, I understand that. I viewed the thread as casportpony, logged out and logged in and both posted as both majormagic and peadawg, which should have sent 1 alert to casportpony, but it did not.

Another update. The way the alerts are currently working is the default behavior of our community software.

A given alert is marked as read when you a) view the actual piece of content by clicking on the alert and going to the actual piece of content... OR by clicking the little DOT on the alert that core XF adds to each alert to mark that specific alert as READ.

If there is a RED NUMBER with the BELL, either the viewing user has not yet actually physically viewed the piece of content OR they have not manually marked that specific alert as read. This is a new feature of as of the last update because alerts were being marked as READ when the content was never actually being viewed (so people thought they had already read something when they didn't... which has been an ongoing issue / complaint for years).

So, the Items Indicator on the BELL will go away, however, the alerts themselves are NOT marked as "READ" automatically anymore. Alerts are no longer auto-marked as read via the Alerts Dropdown. Each Alert can now be manually marked as read and of course, when actually viewing the piece of content (the actual page that the alerts is associated with), that will mark the alert as read.
Actually my alerts are now (as of this morning) being marked read as soon as I click the dropdown.... before I actually read them :oops:
I'm on android using chrome

I have another issue, when I attach an image it doesn't attach but the link for it does. I go back and Attach files again and click on either Thumbnail or Full then the image will appear, but I usually have to do it twice.

I have another issue, when I attach an image it doesn't attach but the link for it does. I go back and Attach files again and click on either Thumbnail or Full then the image will appear, but I usually have to do it twice.
View attachment 2541361
This doesn't seem related to the alerts issue, right? If not, please start a new thread with as much detail as possible for us (and others) to review and try to duplicate.

Back
Top Bottom