Alfalfa Pellets

ParadiseChickens

Songster
8 Years
Apr 19, 2011
I have a problem with one of my hens getting her bottom pecked and have been told on another post to up the protein as a possible fix. They are currently eating Purina Layena and I have read that this feed can sometimes cause chickens to start pecking since it is not a meat based feed. I am going to change to a feed that is meat based but this wouldnt help the protein and I was wondering if alfalfa pellets would. I have tried alfalfa cubes before and they would not touch them but then again they dont eat anything that isnt their feed. I was just thinking maybe I could fool them with the pellets tho. Do you agree that if they will eat the pellets, that is an increase in protein.

I know that Flockraiser was suggested but since that is also not meat based, I am just not convinced.

Switching to a animal / fishmeal based protein feed will give more available protein relative to a plant only formulation. Plant proteins are typically harder to digest than animals protein even when they give the same readings when measured for nitrogen content (what is actually measured to determine crude protein).

The alfalfa may provide benefits not protein related for chickens.

Back
Top Bottom