All 3 girls suddenly have lesions on their comb/wattles and cracked beaks! Help!

ChickRex

Chirping
5 Years
May 15, 2015
This is my first backyard flock and I have three 4 month old pullets: a buff orp, welsummer, and maran. About 2 days ago I noticed the maran had a cracked beak tip and a slightly damaged beak base. Today the buff has a damaged beak base and upon checking the welsummer closely she has a very slightly damaged beak base.

I read that beak cracking is rare so this really worries me. They've been living in their current arrangement for about a month without any issues. The coop is plenty big but the run is too small. I let them out to play for a few hours every day and am working on a larger run. Could they cause this to each other? I noticed they finally started doing the aggression dance but see no evidence of pecking or hurting. Is there a disease that targets the beak? Please help and thank you!

Pictured below are the maran and buff. Put some better pictures in an imgur album. Use those

Edit: I just noticed they also have lesions on their combs/wattles and slightly discolored wattles. Help!!

Here are some much better pictures: http://imgur.com/a/StGny#0

Other health info: they appear to be eating well, have normal looking poops, run around a lot, and are acting otherwise healthy.

Last edited:
I've seen no pecking and they all get along rather well. I'll check around the coop but seeing as they've all come down with it in the same spot and also have minor lesions are there any illnesses that could cause this? Updated original post with better pictures.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom