all 8 hens stopped laying suddenly

Oh, yeah. I forgot that it was that time of year. This is actually a really good reason. It might also be because of the weather. If it's cold right now where you are, then they will start laying less and less until they aren't laying at all.
It's actually not cooler, really. High for today is 86°F. Day light is starting to get shorter, so that's probably the trigger.

Hello! I have 8 hens who have decreased in production the last couple of weeks and have laid nothing for the past few days. Light is still sufficient, water and food readily available. They are not free-range but have lots of room. Hasn't been too hot, and they have plenty of shade. Otherwise seem fine. The only difference is that we had a hen die two weeks ago, suddenly, from unknown causes. Could this cause every single hen to stop laying? Other ideas? Could they possibly be sick with something that killed our other hen? They seem fine other than not laying. Appreciate all you chicken folks, thank you in advance!!
I'm having the same problem.5 laying hens and got only 4 eggs last week. No predator problem. someone suggested parasites and ill follow up on that. This is something I have not encountered before.

A lot of factors could be at play. Besides decreasing day lengths, temperatures changing, going into molt, flock dyanamics, unknown harassment by rodents or predators and so, on and on. I bought some feed one time from my normal supplier that was bad and I did not recognize that until closer inspection. Increase your surveillance and investigations and cover as many bases as possible. It often goes away as mysteriously as it came. Some hens on completing their second or third year laying, slow down dramatically and some may need culling to maintain production. I have had hens lay some up to ten years! That often is not the case. Best wishes!

Back
Top Bottom