all 8 hens stopped laying suddenly

snkjohnson

Songster
10 Years
Jul 10, 2013
Hello! I have 8 hens who have decreased in production the last couple of weeks and have laid nothing for the past few days. Light is still sufficient, water and food readily available. They are not free-range but have lots of room. Hasn't been too hot, and they have plenty of shade. Otherwise seem fine. The only difference is that we had a hen die two weeks ago, suddenly, from unknown causes. Could this cause every single hen to stop laying? Other ideas? Could they possibly be sick with something that killed our other hen? They seem fine other than not laying. Appreciate all you chicken folks, thank you in advance!!

Just watch them closely if they appear still to be eating and healthy otherwise. Chickens sometimes confound us and do spontaneous things we never figure out but end up OK. Environmental issues are frequently a cause and that can be so many different things we never figure it out for sure but the problem resolves itself! Sharing a coop with visiting predators like snakes and rats can cause disruption or even just being threatened from outside the coop or run frequently by a larger predator. Best wishes for you.

They might be nervous. If there is a predator there that you don't now of, they might do this. It might also be in mourning of the other hen that they lost.
No predators and they are very well protected, so must be in mourning? How long can that last do you know?

Have you changed feed lately?
Hello! I have 8 hens who have decreased in production the last couple of weeks and have laid nothing for the past few days. Light is still sufficient, water and food readily available. They are not free-range but have lots of room. Hasn't been too hot, and they have plenty of shade. Otherwise seem fine. The only difference is that we had a hen die two weeks ago, suddenly, from unknown causes. Could this cause every single hen to stop laying? Other ideas? Could they possibly be sick with something that killed our other hen? They seem fine other than not laying. Appreciate all you chicken folks, thank you in advance!!

No predators and they are very well protected, so must be in mourning? How long can that last do you know?
I lost a chicken around a week ago and my chickens are still mourning. It changes for different chickens. It's generally a few weeks, and if they are calling out a lot or all staying in one spot together, it's definitely mourning.

Could be the season change. I've got some that have started molting.
Oh, yeah. I forgot that it was that time of year. This is actually a really good reason. It might also be because of the weather. If it's cold right now where you are, then they will start laying less and less until they aren't laying at all.

Back
Top Bottom