All girls

Yardmom

Crowing
6 Years
May 3, 2018
Waterford, PA
Three months ago I decided to fill my incubator after a fox took a few chicks and 2 roosters. After about a week I discovered that one side of the incubator was 5 degrees warmer than the other. I decided to split the difference and hope for the best. I think one of my old hens did not have fertile eggs, and I think several eggs were not successful due to the temperature issues, but 8 hatched. All 8 are pullets! Not sure if this is connected to female embryos being more hardy, or just luck (good for once)as I still have plenty adult roosters.

I've heard theories that temps might influence the sex of chicks - that colder temps prevent males from developing and produce more females. Very interesting! Congrats on a good hatch!

I've always wanted to incubate, but I really don't want to rehome roosters. I could do a "bachelor pad" of all fellas, but I'm not set up for that just yet. Maybe in the future.

What breed? Pics???

They are very mixed as far as breed. They are looking very colorful. Most of them have a little EE in their heritage as most of the eggs that hatched were green. A think 2 were brown. The rooster possibilities nclude a barred rock and a silver laced Wyandotte. As well as my mixes. I will see if my daughters have time to help with a photo shoot tonight.

20211202_153234.jpg
chick. #1

Back
Top Bottom