All my eggs are double yolk?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by coltssuperbowl83, Aug 6, 2016.

1. coltssuperbowl83

coltssuperbowl83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Kingsville
    They are all from different breeds of chickens. ?.... RIR , EE, BO, bantam..... so what environmental factors would do that?

2. chickluvinfreak

chickluvinfreak Chillin' With My Peeps

How long have they been laying? Hens who have just started laying are more likely to lay a double yolks.

3. coltssuperbowl83

Dec 17, 2010
    Kingsville
    They are all about five months. They just started laying.

4. chickluvinfreak

Yeah that's pretty normal for that age. I got a ton of doubles from my pullets last year. Is it every single egg or just a lot of them? I don't think every egg you get being a double would be normal though.

5. coltssuperbowl83

Dec 17, 2010
    Kingsville
    All of them so far.

6. Spartan22

Spartan22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio

It's possible since they just started laying, all 3 of our 4 green and blue eggs have 2-3 yolks the first 2 wks of laying now they're all settled to normal one yolk. We had leghorns that were laying gargantuan eggs for a while, we thought they're mutants always had 2 yolks. Then they become normal xL size.

7. coltssuperbowl83

Dec 17, 2010
    Kingsville
    Yeah. I was afraid I had mutant chickens

8. chickluvinfreak

Lol, pretty sure they aren't mutatants. But enjoy the double yolks while you have them :)

9. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    No, not mutants! Normal. Means they are pretty healthy and well fed. Just still getting the internal process in order.
    Be happy while it lasts, nothing better than frying up a double yoke egg or two for breakfast, or dinner!

10. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Double yolks are a completely normal thing for new layers. As their systems mature, they will stop releasing multiple yolks. It's kind of sad when it stops.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by