all purpose sand

We are trying to find the correct sand to use with our chicks in the brooder and then coop and run. I have heard many things like don't get the kind with silica and don't get play sand or beach sand. I know it is supposed to be something called washed construction sand or masonry sand but we have looked everywhere and can not find any. We are very confused. In the last couple of days I purchased a bag of Sakrete Multi Purpose sand from Home Depot and didn't see the warning on the bag about it containing silica which is not good for humans to breathe until I got it home and opened it to find WET sand. My husband went to Home Depot today and purchased Quikrete All purpose sand that also has silica but has the small pieces of rock that we heard they needed. I'm ready to pull my hair out. We don't want to hurt our chicks. Would these work? Can some please help?
barnie.gif

Last edited:
Just purchased 12 - 50LBS of Sakrete Mason san at HD, it saids it's a multipurpose sand safe around gardens. Hope it works.

Just purchased 12 - 50LBS of Sakrete Mason san at HD, it saids it's a multipurpose sand safe around gardens. Hope it works.
We discovered that Construction Grade Masonry Sand with the tiny rocks is the best. The tiny rocks help the chickens with their need for grit and it isn't as powdery like the play sand. We get ours from a local construction supplier.

Back
Top Bottom