All ready to go out, but one...

ShadyHillFarm

Songster
6 Years
Feb 26, 2013
NW Georgia
I have several chicks I that are almost completely feathered out at 5 weeks old, except for one. This chick is the same size at the others, but still fuzzy. I was planning on moving them all out this week, but I'm concerned about that one. Temps are averaging low 70s during the days to 40s at night. Should they all go out, or should I hold her back?

Others will have more advice I'm sure but if you can manage it, I, personally would put them all out during the warmest part of the day and back in when it starts to get cool. You don't want to have any issues with the fuzzy one being seen as not part of the flock by keeping her inside while the others are outside, integration can be terrible. I have 3 barred rocks, one of them with half a comb because I tried to integrate her after a similar situation, they brooded together but she wasn't ready to go out when the others were so I kept her in then when I tried to integrate her they were constantly beating on her until eventually they pinned her down and tore half her comb off. But like I said, I'm sure others will have ideas, this is just my experience in a similar situation. (Happy ending though, they are now 4 yrs old and all get along just fine)

Back
Top Bottom