All these ailments...

Iluveggers

Crossing the Road
Jun 27, 2021
NYS
So I keep reading and seeing chicks with lice, chicks with cocci, chicks with mites, pasty butt, etc etc. What can I do so this DOESNT happen? I’m picking up my chicks next week. I’m terrified everything will go wrong. 😞

I believe after a week I should give weeds/grass with soil attached, and chick grit. How do lice & mites happen & how do I prevent that? What tips do you all have?

Thanks so much!

Keep the bedding/brooder/coop clean and dry, that goes a long way. Use medicated feed against coccidiosis. Vaccinate against Marek's (unless they've already been vaccinated at the hatchery). The rest is just luck and common sense. And relax! Most chicks turn out just fine :) If anything comes up, BYC is full of good information and helpful folks.

Don't worry about it. None of those ailments are remotely deadly.
Just make sure they're kept them clean, dry and warm, feed medicated feed, maybe made into mash against coccidosis (Unless they're vaccinated against it) you're very concerned, get permithrine dust to dust the coop against mites and lice. Pasty butt can caused by them getting too hot or while they adapt to solid food, it's easy to treat.
I wouldn't give them grass or anything until about 3 -4 weeks.
Pardon my bluntness but if you're freaked out about minor ailments, perhaps chickens aren't for you, as long as you keep your chickens with proper food, water, ventilation, cleanliness etc, you should be fine.

Don't worry about it. None of those ailments are remotely deadly.
Just make sure they're kept them clean, dry and warm, feed medicated feed, maybe made into mash against coccidosis (Unless they're vaccinated against it) you're very concerned, get permithrine dust to dust the coop against mites and lice. Pasty butt can caused by them getting too hot or while they adapt to solid food, it's easy to treat.
I wouldn't give them grass or anything until about 3 -4 weeks.
Pardon my bluntness but if you're freaked out about minor ailments, perhaps chickens aren't for you, as long as you keep your chickens with proper food, water, ventilation, cleanliness etc, you should be fine.
I’m not too freaked out (I have 2 kids and have had various pets), I am just a person who likes to prevent as many problems as possible. If I know what to do & not to do then I feel more prepared. I want to avoid preventable and stupid mistakes.

Back
Top Bottom