All who have traveled with toddlers on a plane ~ advice? Update!

a pack of multi-colored pipe cleaners (from the craft store)
these can be hooked together, fastened to the seats, made into bracelets, etc. etc. etc. etc. :)

First of all..Good Luck. Now as for the other. Does he like to open presents. If so, wrap many small toys for him to open. Etch a sketch worked wonders for my daughters, and non sticky/juicy finger foods. I put them in individual zip bags. Now I would use the snack size glad-ware. I made a play tray out of a cookie sheet. It helped keep things from falling on the floor. Also, I had magnetic letters and shapes. You can also put magnets on pictures of his favorite people and the relatives he's going to see. Story telling about where he's going and who he's going to see will help the visit go smoother. We also booked the bulkhead seats. No seats in front to kick and more room to wiggle around without bothering people. The advice I give to all parents of children who are acting up is: Relax, those who have children will understand and those who don't never will. Benadryl works if they can take it. My Dr. prescribed Tylenol with Codeine. One or two doses will not cause problems. Have fun on your trip

Tots fly for free at 2 but I have learned it is so much better if you can to buy the extra seat... especially for that long of a flight!!

There should be lots of sleep time due to the lull of the plane. But, like everyone has said, pack new and interesting toys to break out every hour or so and pack plenty of juices and their favorite snack.

Good Luck and may the force be with you

one word...Puppets.. I calmed a screaming toddler in the seat behind me on a plane by taking my daughter's winnie the poo toys and making them pop up and talk to her and dance above the seat back...my daughter played along. It was fun and some guy in the back said, "give that lady a medal!!" lol it was funny..the mom was sure appriciatve!

I'm sure everyone has given you a great list so far, pardon me for not reading all of the posts.

Based on your Subject my advice is:

Do NOT apologize or feel badly for your childs behavior at ANY TIME from the time you leave home until you arrive at your destination. Children are a handful and adding the stress of worrying how he/she is behaving and how it is affecting other people is irrelevant to you. Your mission is to get through it as painlessly as possible and you should not second guess yourself.

In other words.. if you feel the burn of your neighboring passengers eyes glaring a hole through you because you can't seem to quiet the child, DON"T WORRY about it at all. Dismiss that feeling and know you are doing EVERYTHING you can.

It'll stress you out more, then stress the baby out more... that's no good. Take everything you can, expect the worst and hope for the best.

Oh... and GET THE EXTRA SEAT... a car seat with seatbelt is a godsend for an antsy toddler and you'll appreciate the extra space even if they don't let you take the carseat on board.

I have done that Alaska to the east coast trip with three toddlers more than once. You are getting great advise, but don't forget to pack at least two extra outfits for your child and one for yourself (sitting for 12 hours in juice/milk stained clothes is no fun). Good luck and you can do it!!!

Oofta thank you all so far! Please keep the lists comming! I am not looking foward to this whole deal but thats what I get for gettin hitched to a guy from SC
roll.png
I know. I know I am stressing already! Saddly the SC family have only flown once and it was a short trip as an adult so they have NOOOOOOO clue how much of a pain it is for adults much less a 2 year old farm boy! Again thanks for the tips and please keep the lists of must haves comming!

ChickensRCool ~~ Thank you! I didnt even think to pack extra stuff for me! Please send as many tips as you have in your bag of tricks you must have after taking 3 lil ones!
bow.gif

Back
Top Bottom