Rootie

Chirping
Jan 3, 2017
Hi friends. I am super allergic to hay, have been my whole life. I have an 8x12 Barn, which is raised off the ground I am building for a chicken coop. They will have a separate run. This question is just for the barn floor. Any suggestions as to what to use on the floor? I really want to use sand, but my husband feels sand is too heavy with a raised floor. Thank you so much for your help.

Attachments

• received_762058091088277.jpeg
    received_762058091088277.jpeg
    22.7 KB · Views: 15
Hi friends. I am super allergic to hay, have been my whole life. I have an 8x12 Barn, which is raised off the ground I am building for a chicken coop. They will have a separate run. This question is just for the barn floor. Any suggestions as to what to use on the floor? I really want to use sand, but my husband feels sand is too heavy with a raised floor. Thank you so much for your help.
Pine shavings or hemp bedding.

It's also not the greatest bedding if you live anywhere even slightly humid.
aart, I know exactly what you’re saying, but I really think the TYPE of sand used is key.

The fine, kids’ play sand is a big no no!

DO NOT USE THIS KIND OF SAND!
3DFD5D5F-4C6A-4AC2-9311-90BEC5A290DD.jpeg

I know this first hand as I had some on hand and used it when I first put my chicks over in the storage side of the coop (to get them out of the house) when I was still working on the chicken side. Of course I put their nipple waterer and feeder in there. :duc:th

Chicks + Nipple Waterers = FUN for them & a MESS for me. And it STINKS!!!

The perfect sand to use in the coop is washed, construction grade or, as it is known in my area,
MEDIUM sand. There is a huge difference between the two kinds of sand.
3CCA7D11-FB0B-4AAD-A2AA-7814452039BF.jpeg

I keep about a 3” depth of this sand inside my coop. This sand is washed and the grains are like smooth little pebbles. It makes the perfect grit for the birds and it is fun to play in when it’s first put down. I add to when needed and completely replace the sand once a year.

The humidity here in Alabama is so thick there are times you could cut it with a knife. However, I do not keep water in the coop. It is completely dry inside. I have had the occasional egg be dropped and cracked in the sand before, and what the chickens don’t gobble up will be in a clump in the sand. I scoop it up and take it out with the poop and make sure there is no wetness left underneath the sand. (I keep paper towels on the storage side of the coop. :oops: They are invaluable!)

Please don’t be afraid to try sand if you want it. I wouldn’t have anything thing else in my coop.

Back
Top Bottom