Oct 1, 2019
Hello- I have like 23 chickens different breeds and like 4 roosters. They stopped laying eggs about a month ago, they do not seem sick, they are not loosing feathers and they are not hiding their eggs. we killed a snake like 3 months ago but we have not seen anymore. We haven't change their feed and they have over 2 acres to roam around freely... I am at lost. Anyone have a suggestion? or anything that could get me eggs! I dont like grocery store eggs!:idunno

Welcome to BYC!
If they have over 2 acres to roam, they may have hidden nests even tho you believe they don't. Don't just look on the ground, look up on top of things, behind, even inside objects, etc.
Also, not sure where you live, but in Northern Hemisphere days are getting shorter and they will lay less and less as the days get shorter and shorter. Mine all take a winter break tho it hasn't begun yet.
Good luck!

I agree with SueT. Your hens could have chosen a different spot to lay her eggs. I have heard of many cases where hens will go off somewhere, lay her eggs, and come back with a trail of chicks behind her (all of which who had at least one rooster). I hope this helps! :)

they are not hiding their eggs.
How do you know they are not hiding them?
Umm, you probably don't ;)

How old are your birds?

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Oh, and....Welcome to BYC! @MacarthurRanchito
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-10-2_7-24-57.png

Good morning and welcome to the BYC flock!!! I do not free range mine all day, but can tell ya they will lay ALL over. Mine scratched open a bag of bedding when I was storing it in my coop, then two of my pullets decided it was a great nesting spot!

Back
Top Bottom