Alpacas and chicken together?

OoWeeFNP

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 1, 2014
Hey everyone! I'm planning on adding alpacas becausechicken really are the gateway farm animal. Can they share the same areas? They would have separate living quarters. Anybody have experience with this?
Thanks!

I would definitely have separate pens just for the introduction see how they like one another, and then if they get along, you could definitely keep them together. I've seen horses give chickens a sideways glance and then simply carry on with their business. It depends on the animals. Make sure your larger farm animals won't bully or trample your hens.

Last edited:
They should be fine. The main concern I can think of would be if alpacas are like goats, you'll be challenged to keep them out of the chicken feed.

They should be fine. The main concern I can think of would be if alpacas are like goats, you'll be challenged to keep them out of the chicken feed. 

That's a good point, I didn't think of that. It's definitely a good idea to keep feed separate and at the very least in difficult to open containers for the Chickens so the alpacas don't eat all the chicken feed. When I had quail and chickens (before my last hen passed and I set my sights on large flightless bird, that is.. lol) I used a few metal feed containers with chicken-sized holes to feed them. I'll have to dig around for the old things but I'll eventually find it and post a picture.

Back
Top Bottom