Alright! Day 21!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Razzle, May 28, 2012.

1. Razzle

Razzle In the Brooder

May 23, 2012
    Alfred, ON
    Ok, so today is due date and my little chickens have got my nerves all shot x_x

I haven't seen or heard so much as a wiggle or a peep, when I had candled them on day 17 they seemed to be dancing around like they couldn't wait to hatch but, like I said, it's time to hatch and I haven't seen any signs of life since I stuck 'em in lockdown

I am concerned :( this is horribly unnerving, is there something I can do?

2. wullus

wullus Chirping

May 7, 2012
    Queensland, Australia
    I'm no expert, but keep waiting- sometimes they can take up to 24 days from what I've read on this forum. Don't give up yet! Good luck :)

3. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Crowing

Jan 12, 2012
    Just stay calm (and don't open up the bator!), what kind are they? My Jersey Giants didn't hatch till day 26. If nothing hatches until day 28, just take the eggs out and see what happened.

4. Razzle

Razzle In the Brooder

May 23, 2012
    Alfred, ON
    thanks!
    it helps to hear from other people with similar cases, i didn't even know how attached i was to the little buggers until a few days ago xD

will keep you posted on how they are doing ^-^

5. Razzle

Razzle In the Brooder

May 23, 2012
    Alfred, ON
    Thanks! i will try to keep composed lol, would you per chance know the reason why you can't open the bator after putting them in lockdown? i see all sorts of people on youtube taking the chicks out only 4 hours after they hatch, even while other chicks hadn't hatched or pipped yet :s

The guy told me that they were white orpington, it's my first time incubating so I didn't really know that different breeds might hatch earlier or later x_x

6. Razzle

Razzle In the Brooder

May 23, 2012
    Alfred, ON
    GAH

IT CHEEPED!

:D

im so excited xD my family is currently placing bets on who will hatch first lol

YAY! ^-^

7. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Crowing

Jan 12, 2012
    [​IMG]Woo-hoo! BTW: If they start pipping, and they don't break out even 15 hours after they pip, that's normal, they need some rest before they really break out.
    Also, I had to leave one chick in the bator for a whole day alone because the other one hadn't pipped yet (and we did hear cheeping). Chicks will last about 3 days in the bator (or under the broody) because they still have the yolk in their tummy which fills them up. [​IMG]

8. wullus

wullus Chirping

May 7, 2012
    Queensland, Australia
    How'd it go?! Did they all end up hatching? :)

9. Razzle

Razzle In the Brooder

May 23, 2012
    Alfred, ON
    thank you so much for that reply, i actually got the email notifying me of it when i was right about to come back and ask if it was normal for them to take so long lol

SO! i have 10 little baby chicks, [​IMG] that have been hatching from tuesday morning till now lol, honestly, the most stressful and terrifying time of my life but at the same time, sooo worth it ^-^

They are all energetic and fluffy, and when I walk up to the brooder, they all run to me [​IMG] i am so happy i could die xD

10. jtbrown

jtbrown Songster

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Awesome!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: