I'll feel like a mad scientist.
61ytr-UYlAL._SL1500_.jpg

I try to use all natural methods, but I'm usually not open to speaking about it just because of the bad juju people say about them and all the negativity you get when you talk about it.

I add lots of herbs to my dry food... dill, rosemary, basil, parsley, thyme, and oregano. There may be more but it's too early for me to think that hard!

I add garlic, fennel, flax seeds, tumeric, a little cinnamon, and nutritional yeast to my feed as well. The feed makes me hungry, that probably sounds odd but the aroma is very nice.

I add acv to my waterer once a week.

I give pumpkin seeds as well. I'm going to try to roast the seeds and add them to their feed after today because I'm getting a ton of pumpkins.

I have no scientific proof that what I do works, but I do know my chickens and ducks are health.

I try to use natural methods first... I worry about DE getting into the lungs and causing issues there. Neem oil and Orange oil sprays are good. But When it comes to an infestation of anything.... I bring out Pyriehrin sprays and Ivermectin. Pyriehrin was developed from Chrysanthemums, If I am not mistaken.

Fecal count, and a centrifuge are not bad ideas. Having had horses for fifty years I was told that if you do a fecal count periodically you need never have to worm at all. Coming from an industry that went from once a year to once every three months to once a month To feed through where they get it every day. A friend started doing fecal counts and just about stopped worming at all.

deb

I try to use natural methods first... I worry about DE getting into the lungs and causing issues there. Neem oil and Orange oil sprays are good. But When it comes to an infestation of anything.... I bring out Pyriehrin sprays and Ivermectin. Pyriehrin was developed from Chrysanthemums, If I am not mistaken.

Fecal count, and a centrifuge are not bad ideas. Having had horses for fifty years I was told that if you do a fecal count periodically you need never have to worm at all. Coming from an industry that went from once a year to once every three months to once a month To feed through where they get it every day. A friend started doing fecal counts and just about stopped worming at all.

deb
That's really good to know I'm really thinking about investing in a centrifuge. I'm someone who believes you should only worm when you see a problem, some people think that this is ridiculous.

I have heard that excessive use of wormers and antibiotics makes the parasites and such immune which isn't good. I heard this from a veterinarian and I've always held that in my mind whenever someone tells me I need to worm my chickens twice a year or what not.

That's really good to know I'm really thinking about investing in a centrifuge. I'm someone who believes you should only worm when you see a problem, some people think that this is ridiculous.

I have heard that excessive use of wormers and antibiotics makes the parasites and such immune which isn't good. I heard this from a veterinarian and I've always held that in my mind whenever someone tells me I need to worm my chickens twice a year or what not.
I agree. And with a good microscope and an eductation on identification you can spot which worms they are.

deb

Back
Top Bottom