Alternative to pullet-shut and other auto doors?

showbarnmom

Songster
7 Years
Dec 16, 2012
south central Texas
I am very interested in getting an automatic door, but when I priced the chicken specific, WOW! My coops built from all recycled material basically, and I didn't know they were that expensive. Has anyone made an automatic door themselves? Or have any ideas on what to do? I dont *need* one, but I have a 7 month old son, and some times I don't get out to the coop to let them out until well after the sun is up.

Do you have electricity or are you in need of a solar one?? I will look for the link but I seen on here where someone made one using water to move a float thus opening and closing the door. It also had an ingenious locking mechanism so it could not be pushed open from anything it had to be pullied opened....i will look around. I also want an automatic one I just can't part with that kind of dough....I also do not have electricity run to my coop.

I kinda have electricity lol. I have a heavy duty extension cord ran from my house. I would love to find something simple.
Haha...sounds like me but I can only plug in so many things.....so I would have to choose between heated water and door opener....and with frozen water I would still have to get my behind out there in the morning. The things that I never thought of when I started this project...or I thought of them just didn't think it would be a big deal. I mainly want and automatic door for in the summer months when we tend to be out later with wedding and rodeos and games. Too many predators to not lock them up nightly.

Haha...sounds like me but I can only plug in so many things.....so I would have to choose between heated water and door opener....and with frozen water I would still have to get my behind out there in the morning. The things that I never thought of when I started this project...or I thought of them just didn't think it would be a big deal. I mainly want and automatic door for in the summer months when we tend to be out later with wedding and rodeos and games. Too many predators to not lock them up nightly.

Same here! Thankfully, I don't have a water problem. I live in Texas lol. But I have a light in the coop so I can see things when I manage to get out there to lock every one up. I'm a clutz, so it helps. But currently my ramp is not affixed, so I have to move it to get in the coop, and close the big door because we haven't cut a chicken door yet. *sigh* it was something I didn't think we would need either lol.

Back
Top Bottom