Always Wanted 2 Know This :)

Didn't they just close this exact topic the other day?
tongue.png

The chicken came first.

Scooter&Suzie :

Quote:
Does make sense. Of course this question is just what you think, and I don't really KNOW I mean I don't know how we could test it to become a law, or even a theory (a hypoisis that has gone under many experiments, and passed them all). We will all just have to wait and see for a 100%.

You don't have to test anything. The answer comes from logic. The question is "Which came first, the chicken or the egg?" The question doesn't specify what kind of egg, so if there was any egg from any creature before there was a chicken then the answer is "The egg came first." Then we say, "how long have there been chickens?" Well, a chicken is a domesticated jungle fowl. It would be hard to draw the line between captive-bred jungle fowl and the first domesticated chicken, but in any case, it was less than 10,000 years ago that the first birds we'd call "chickens" were being bred. Were there eggs before 10,000 years ago? Yes, there were. There are fossil eggs dated millions of years earlier than the first sign of birds, much less chickens. Before there were even land animals, sea creatures laid eggs.

And if you turn a blind eye to all of that and follow a biblical-creation model, then you must concede that before people domesticated jungle fowl and made chickens, there were already lots of animals that laid eggs in the garden of eden. God made jungle fowl (according to that story), and then later people took them and made chickens.

Solving a problem does not necessarily beget a law or theory. Scientific laws state what will always happen within a set of conditions -- the law of gravity says that something you hold up high and let go will fall to the ground. Theories attempt to explain facts and why what happens happens, and are tested by asking questions like "if this theory is correct, then that should happen or be found" and can serve as models for future predictions, but cannot be proven -- the theory of gravitation states that smaller bodies are attracted to larger bodies by a force that is relative to the size of the larger body and the difference in size between the larger and smaller bodies, but while it can allow us to make predictions, we can't prove that this is really why it happens. Hypotheses are ideas that either haven't been tested, or do not have a body of evidence supporting them yet. The question this thread is about doesn't need an experiment -- it needs only to know what is older. You don't need to conduct an experiment to find out if you or your neighbor is older -- you just need to find out your ages and see which number is greater.

I realize the question is just for fun, but my twisted form of fun is solving problems. Just don't ask me how to decorate your living room.

tongue.png

Ooopsie! We forgot something though..... can I tread through this little spot between the toes???? Thanks!

Made aka Created would include the building blocks... and unfortunately, or fortunately, w/e.. man has not mastered forming the base of those building blocks.... thus mans influence has remained in *selecting*.

So people selected, they chose chickens from the fowl... they didn't make them. If we want to say it this way... the Jungle Fowl themselves had more to do with "making" chickens than humans did.

People are little... and that includes in comparison to animals IMHO
big_smile.png
wink.png

Quote:
Well, not to get terribly off-topic, but there are interesting strides in the area of "man-created" new life (as in, building an organism with an artificial genome...we've already duplicated a bacterium's genome artificially, then put it in a cell...and it worked...http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10132762). But anyway, regardless of your "man created" versus "fowl created", the point is that SOMETHING laid an EGG before a CHICKEN ever existed.

Thus...the egg came first.

tongue.png

Last edited:
I do believe in creation. But I'm not sure if the chicken was the first egg-laying thing ever created.
lol.png

After all, fish probably came first, and fish lay eggs...
pop.gif

Quote:
Yes I agree there has been much done in the way of manipulating dna .... but as you yourself mention.. "then put it in a cell"... and while I agree it is very interesting and a good example of making carrot soup from carrots... my point was that people didn't create those carrots. They are just playing copy/paste with what exists. Thus my wording "forming the base of those building blocks".

So please.... don't fail to respect that poor Jungle fowl hen that passed that first chicken egg. She did all the laboring.. the pushing.. the suffering... (whatever else hens go through)... and if she were here today I think she would jump up on your lamp post and say....

"Thank you God that crazy egg is out!!"

Something like that.... I was amused
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom