Am I a Debbie Downer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Oh, you just have me an idea.
ya.gif

I just called the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries reporting office and they confirmed that a "Message in a Bottle" is littering (in the State of Louisiana) and if caught, a person could be fined up to $1,000. I told her about the show that I saw this morning. She said if anyone would have been caught doing that in Louisiana, they would have received a fine. That would be considered "intentional littering".
She said that littering costs Louisiana taxpayers $40 million annually. OUCH!!!!

•Litter takes time to biodegrade/break down. An orange peel takes six months, a plastic bag takes 10 - 20 years and paper 2 - 5 months.
•Cigarette butts are dangerous to wildlife and have been found in the stomachs of cats, dogs, birds and squirrels.
•The four most common litter items in Louisiana are cigarettes, fast-food packaging and candy/snack packaging and beverage containers.
• Litter is a health risk to you and your pet as it attracts rodents, vermin and germs.

Distinguishes between intentional and simple littering. First conviction for intentional littering: fine of $250 and eight hours of community service in a litter abatement work program; second conviction: $500 and sixteen hours; third or subsequent conviction: $1250, eighty hours, and one year suspension of driver's license.

First conviction for simple littering: $75 or eight hours of community; second or subsequent conviction: $500 or sixteen hours of community service. Those convicted under the statute must also pay for or repair any damages to the property and pay all reasonable investigative costs.

This makes me feel better that Louisiana takes littering serious.
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Please don't show that appreciation in your state of TN because TN won't be happy about it. Littering in TN with a bottle is a Class C Misdemeanor and it is tagged with a $50.00 fine. In addition to the fine, the courts require 40 hours community service hours picking up litter. OUCH!

I could buy a few bags of feed with $50.00.

I'd say yeah, you're a bit of a downer if that story bothered you.
But, to each their own views..
smile.png

I do get where you are coming from with the littering though..

I don't really see it as littering. He threw it in so someone could find it. Its not in the ocean anymore. Its kind of neat to me really.

My name is Debbie, and I take exception to the term "Debbie downer". Let's refer to it as a Katherine killjoy! Ok, that was a joke! But I think there are bigger fish to fry than a bottle thrown into the ocean. Especially for a news show. Talk about Sudan.

Throwing glass into the ocean makes sea glass-which is beautiful. Always 2 ways of looking at things.

I feel the same way when I see or hear of balloon releases in memory or someone/something... or a wedding... a celebration...

latex is deadly to wild life... they get tangled in the ribbon.. ingest the balloons and starve to death... YAAAAAAA but we celebrated Jimmy by killing a few dozen wildlife
hu.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom