Am I a rooster?

Viergacht

Songster
5 Years
Nov 13, 2018
I've never had a rooster, so I'm not entirely sure how to distinguish them from pullets at a young age - anyone feel like lending an expert hand?

Here's my blue-laced Wyandotte chick, which I got back in the beginning of December. She's a bit taller than the others, definitely more aggressive - although I've read that Wyandottes tend to be bossy - but the very red comb and face flapdoodles have me concerned. The tail feathers are pretty short, but I think one of the other chicks yanked some of them out in a scuffle. There's been no attempts at crowing so far - I don't want to return her if I don't have to!

chk-1.jpg

For comparison, here's my Barred Rock, the same age. Much smaller, lighter comb and no wattles.

chk-2.jpg

don't compare with barred rock at 6 weeks - they are really slow developing
unless you have same breed/age to compare to, can't really say it is a roo until seeing saddle feathers

A young female will not have red comb and wattles until ready to lay at 4 to 5 months old. You have a male. Wyandottes do make really good roosters. I lost one last year at 9 years old and he was a wonderful leader for my flock. ;)

Back
Top Bottom