Am i overdoing it ? some people think im nuts, pics added

I don't think you're overdoing it, but then again I am someone who sieved all the sand in her runs through a colander before her broodies hatched out their clutches last spring. I just hope none of my neighbors spotted me doing that...they think I'm weird enough as it is!

I don't think you are either. Probably the most time saving exercise I do is pick up the poop every morning from beneath the roost. It's frozen so I just use my chicken coop winter gloves; is that disgusting?
big_smile.png
I don't clean the straw in the run as often though.

Quote:
DANG! You beat me. I just use single gloves. I've never broken one so why should I use two? Thrifty or Cheap, I'll let you decide. HA!

I put my droppings in the rose bed or around the shrubs. The dirty shavings have taken the place of about 100 bags of mulch I used to put out.....twice a year. Yep, lots of beds and gardens. Now I get two for one and don't have to break my back carrying bags of wet mulch.
Thanks, it's always good to know there's someone just a little more obsessive than yourself. Congratulations.

By the way, for all of you that think picking up poo is icky-nasty.....remember: it's only seed and water.

Last edited:
Yes, I clean every day. Frozen poop under the roosts goes out to the compost and I throw in more pine shavings.
Outdoor run is just shoveled out for a smaller run because of the snow.
My opinion is that clean is way better than not clean.
thumbsup.gif

I think ya'll are NUTS!!!! I clean my coop twice a year. I will scoop the poop under the roosts if it piles up but other than that, it's not happening. I don't clean my run at all. I leave that up to mother nature

Yeah...I'm a daily cleaner too.
tongue.png
Dropping board gets scraped each morning, and bedding picked through each afternoon. Since my little flock mostly free ranges, I don't have to rake the run out very often. Although this winter they've spent a LOT of "free range" time hanging out in the garage (I leave it open for them), so I do have to clean THAT out fairly often...lol.
I keep a little office folding chair in the coop so I can sit in there and "bond" with the girls on occasion
smile.png

I only clean out the coop twice a year, (spring and fall) I put in new shavings at that time, I do stir up the shavings in the coop weekly. I use DE, it keeps the smell down, it also absorbs moisture.

I don't clean my coop out but once I month - they have straw in the bays... But everyday or every other day I scrape the top of their huddle house because some chose not to sleep in their houses but on top and everyday I sweep the pavers that run down the middle of the coop - you can check out the set up on my BYC page

some days I clean the coop more then our house (but I do have a DH and 2 boys to help kept the house clean)

Last edited:
To me it seems like overkill. I use deep litter method and only clean out the coop out once a year in the spring and throw a new bag of pine shaving in about once every 2-3 months. I clean the poop boards once a week. The run might get some sand in the spring...might.

This topic is getting interesting , lol THANK YOU everyone who has shared w me so far ,
I'm glad im not alone , now i dont feel so odd about how i take care of my special pets !

37413_122210160806.jpg

37413_0625091623a_-_copy.jpg

Here's ruby inspecting the shavings after cleaning !
37413_102710122508.jpg

Back
Top Bottom