Am i overdoing it ? some people think im nuts, pics added

I would love to see pics of some of the coops that are cleaned daily.
hide.gif

It may give me some inspiration.

Nope, you're not overdoing it. For some people they prefer letting a weeks worth of work stack up and then tackle it all at once. Others like you prefer doing it daily. In the end I don't know who ends up spending more time. I clean my poop board every day and rake the run every couple of days. I think if you have a couple of birds you can go longer, but when you have more than a few it's good to stay on top of it!!

I wish I could clean every day but I just don't have time or energy. Before I became a mom (to a human) I used to clean my barnyard every day. (That was before I got chickens too). Now I try to clean the barnyard (for the llamas and goats) a couple times a week and thoroughly clean the coop at least once a month. I also do the DL method, but my crazy layer girls waste so much food crumbles and knock their waterer around they tend to make it gross. I suppose I'll try to switch them to food pellets, maybe that will help. I put fresh hay in the coop every few days - they love to pick through it and play with it and it ends up spread all over, so it's a fairly clean top layer.

I hope to build poop boards, and make their run much bigger, so that will help with the cleaning (right now the run is too low for me to walk in it). The run has granite dust for flooring, which is similar to sand but less expensive and doesn't wash away as easily (the run is on a hill). I use a shrubbery rake to rake the mess onto a snow shovel. It wastes a lot less substrate than a broom.

Back
Top Bottom