Am i overdoing it ? some people think im nuts, pics added

Niiice! And I don't think you're nuts! It's what makes you happy and your chickens healthy that matters.

From these posts it sounds like there's lots of different ways to maintain coops to suit lots of different people.

Personally I enjoy all the aspects of chicken care, including picking up the poops up every morning (I only have 6). Then I put down a small bucketful of fresh pine shavings; it only takes a few minutes, plus it smells nice, and I know they go to bed in a clean coop that evening. And they come in and visit when I'm cleaning (inspecting I suppose).

Chickens are a source of eggs for my family, but to me they are also a hobby that I love. Some people have model trains, fly kites, collect stamps, whatever- and they can spend quite a bit of time and $ on their hobby. So if some like to go all out for their chickens, like cleaning coops everyday, making special treats for them, or building fancy homes for them, it's their right, no matter how crazy they may seem to others!
wink.png

I do maintenance every day, but I only clean out the coop twice a year or if the poop containers get full. I have a large coop and use the deep litter method. It gives me enough fertilizer for all my garden needs.

I do not think you are nuts. As others have said, as long as you are happy and the chores are not a burden, you are doing it right.

i clean the concrete portion of my coop everyday. i scrape up the frozen manure and sweep out the rest. i then mix the saw dust portion of the coop to airrate it. and just today i cleaned out the nest boxes and put fresh hay. im thinking of putting nest pads in the boxes to limit using so mch hay and to keep the eggs cleaner. i agree my chickens are a lot tamer and dont mind to be picked up i also like knowing they are clean and healthy. if i dont clean it one day, i feel like im not treating my chickens correctly. i clean out my smaller coop once a week and i rake out my duck coop everyday, its just dirt so theirs not much. i use the deep litter method where theres saw dust. i add a bag or two when it starts getting low. i could go forever with how i clean, i only have 30 chickens and 10 ducks, but i like to keep them clean and healthy.

There is NO WAY I would do that amount of cleaning. I would give the chickens away first.

But so what? Where is it written it has to be done a certain way? As for thinking you're nuts.... No, of course I don't think you're nuts. If I did, it would be my problem, not yours. What is nuts is getting upset about how someone else does something when it has no affect on me.

My chickens are happy and healthy and I enjoy them. Same for you, obviously. That's enough.

Quote:
my mom says that you could eat off the floor of my coop when im done cleaning
bun.gif

Dont want to do mine for me do you ?
wink.png

Your birds look in excellent condition & im sure they are very happy with their home.

You obviously enjoy cleaning times with your hens or you would not do it !

The birds will surely love the attention.

If you have the time to do it, then i can see nothing wrong with it. Needed or not !

smile.png

I could be mistaken, but I'm betting the folks who clean daily spend quite a bit of time "visiting" their girls in the coop. I know for me, it's a big part of it. I don't want to sit inside a poop-laden coop scratching necks and having lap time - yuck! I would think smaller flocked coops would be cleaned more often than coops with dozens of birds too just because it's quicker/easier. Like the poster who said (she) had 150 coops!!!
ep.gif
I don't think you could hold down a job and do THAT daily...lol.

Back
Top Bottom