Am I right to feel ripped off with this chicken supplies business?

sierraoscar

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 13, 2013
Adelaide, South Australia
My Coop
My Coop
Hello everyone,

I don't usually take action when I feel I've been aggrieved, and maybe it's not a big enough issue to rightly feel aggrieved over.

I ordered some chicken watering cups (from a supplier I found here) and the proprietor firstly, A) didn't choose to respond to my request of a more expedited shipping method, B) really overcharged me and not refunded me and C) packed it very poorly.

I've been so disheartened by this I've not put the thing together yet, and I've refrained from coming on here (not consciously) but I guess I wasn't feeling that wonderful about it all. It was brought home to me recently, when I purchased something non-chicken related from a company who automatically refunded me the postage difference (and it was a negligible amount, so I wouldn't have known otherwise, nor would it have phased me if they didn't). Anyway, I'm copying and pasting my email correspondence with this person (I've sanitised the name and company) but most of you will probably know who it may be.

I spent $192.77 for the cups on the 20 Jan 2013, US$60.00 for postage and it only cost him $11.75. I've repeatedly asked for a refund of postage, but he doesn't seem to want to deal with me. It would have been nice for him to have refunded me without having to go cap in hand each time (which was uncomfortable). I also never asked, nor did the terms of purchase indicate 'registered' as doing that outside of the US is pointless (as it is up to the local carrier to do that or not). So, he claims the extra was for 'registration', which was useless to me anyway, once it left the US.

The package was also falling apart when it arrived, he didn't use a suitable grade of cardboard box, which appeared to be a used box anyway. So, no real cost to him in packaging and I feel I spent a far bit on his product to not have him exploit the postage cost.

Any thoughts? Have I been treated unfairly, or am I being oversensitive and just get over it?

20 Jan 2013 - Ordered my chicken watering cups

My Email on 25 Jan 2013 -
"Hello (blank),
Just dropping you a line to see if you have received my order of a few days ago.

I'm needing the equipment rather urgently, as it's very hot where I live now and my chickens need an additional water source they can't spoil.
If you are having supply issues, no problem, just let me know and I'll see if I can source elsewhere.
I appreciate life issues can take priority, but I'm just concerned that I haven't heard from you.
warmest regards"

His Email on 26 Jan 2013
"Hi,
I'm sorry for the delay but it actually just shipped out today.
Let me know if you have any questions"

My Email on 07 Feb 2013
"Hello (blank),
I just received the package you sent. ... and feel a bit concerned that I had asked for some alternate postage option (like UPS etc) in my paypal payment - it was in the notes section, which I can send you again. However, that being said, it's come regular mail and at a cost of $11.75. I did pay almost $60.00 postage. I don't have allot of money, and what I do have is on my animals.

I appreciate oversights happens, especially when fulfilling loads of orders, but it would be nice if you could refund some of that as sign of goodwill.
regards"

His Email on 08 Feb 2013
"Hi,
Thanks for contacting me.

We only ship USPS, I'm sorry you did not get a response to your question. The postage cost was more than $11.75 as it was sent registered mail. I'll look into it and issue a refund of some type if it is appropriate."

My email on 27 March 2013
"Hello (Blank),
It's been more than a month since your last email. What are your thoughts?"

His Email on 29 March 2013
"I'm sorry for the delay, I was not able to find the costs of our shipping. I will take another look"

==========================================
He never did get back to me, it's now 03 Jul 2013

The postage on the package should have been $23.95 according to USPS.com. It does look like the $11.75 was extra postage added after the label was printed. They probably under paid when printing the label on their PC. Hope that helps you some? A $36 "handling fee" seems a bit steep to me for sure. Good luck.

The postage on the package should have been $23.95 according to USPS.com. It does look like the $11.75 was extra postage added after the label was printed. They probably under paid when printing the label on their PC. Hope that helps you some? A $36 "handling fee" seems a bit steep to me for sure. Good luck.

Hi Paradox, I guess I don't really understand why the franking stated on the box (and the second customs slip attached to the box) would both say $11.75 when it really wasn't.... The package is extremely light.

...and there is residual feeling of being played along during the course of the emails...

Last edited:
The label says the package is 2lbs. 4oz. I looked on usps.com to see what it would cost to ship that from the States to Aus. USPS quoted me $23.95 postage based on that weight, no insurance or postal "extras" so I don't know what else to tell you. I hope you can get it squared away though. I'd sure be frustrated too, to say the least.

That $11.75 was added onto the amount paid online.
The label with the customs etc had a payment attached. The postage was $11.75 PLUS whatever they paid when they generated the label online.

Plus you can tell that it was indeed registered by the red PO stampings on each corner and edge of the wrapping.

2# 4 oz is $23.95
PLUS $12.95 for registered mail that is not available online, so the sender had to make a special trip to the PO to get the registered fee paid. It looks like they were charged an extra $11.75 only.
http://ircalc.usps.com/Summary.aspx?country=10013&m=6&p=2&o=4&mt=5&es=103

Last edited:

tks for your responses Paradox and the extra information terrielacy: I wasn't questioning if it had been registered - but it wasn't part of my terms of purchase, nor was it stated at any stage it was to be registered - and the entire registration process is useless outside of the US. So, I'm not denying the sender didn't send it that way, it's just irrelevant to me. I also don't understand what you mean by 'the sender having to make a special trip to PO..." - isn't the sender going anyway? A customs form has to be filled /ID sighted etc in at the PO?

perhaps this is more or less the norm then...? still think for the amount of money I spent, his lack of communication or regard for me, he profiteering on the postage is clearly more or less par for the course... I have been polite and nice to him and given him the benefit of the doubt the entire time...

US capitalism at its best I guess...

Last edited:
tks for your responses Paradox and the extra information terrielacy: I wasn't questioning if it had been registered - but it wasn't part of my terms of purchase, nor was it stated at any stage it was to be registered - and the entire registration process is useless outside of the US.  So, I'm not denying the sender didn't send it that way, it's just irrelevant to me.  I also don't understand what you mean by 'the sender having to make a special trip to PO..." - isn't the sender going anyway?   A customs form has to be filled /ID sighted etc in at the PO?  

perhaps this is more or less the norm then...?  still think for the amount of money I spent, his lack of communication or regard for me, he profiteering on the postage is clearly more or less par for the course...    I have been polite and nice to him and given him the benefit of the doubt the entire time... 

US capitalism at its best I guess...

Registering a package means it has to be physically checked into each site. It means less chance of loss and the journey can be traced. I personally will not ship expensive goods overseas any other than airmail or registered parcel post.
When creating a label and paying for postage online, the customs form is created as part of the process. Then the package can be handed right to the mail carrier at the door without going to the PO.

Remember that shipping costs do not normally just cover postage. Packing supplies, cartons, bubble wrap and labels all cost money.

Registering a package means it has to be physically checked into each site. It means less chance of loss and the journey can be traced. I personally will not ship expensive goods overseas any other than airmail or registered parcel post.
When creating a label and paying for postage online, the customs form is created as part of the process. Then the package can be handed right to the mail carrier at the door without going to the PO.

Remember that shipping costs do not normally just cover postage. Packing supplies, cartons, bubble wrap and labels all cost money.

whilst, I appreciate the comments, the 'registration' wasn't the issue (and no one has understood that 'registration' outside of the US) it doesn't get tracked beyond your borders.... so?

as far as packaging - this was falling apart (no expense to him either as it had NO padding and was a used box) and actually was open it was so bad. All of which I have already stated... and you can see in the photo.

(please no further comments - I won't be responding anyway) I get it though - you all support him.

I think the packaging was terrible and he should have at least been able to tell you how much the exact shipping costs were, including labels, packaging costs, etc. He is being extremely rude, IMO, in not getting back to you. All it would take to clear this up is a quick email stating what it cost to show you that you paid the correct amount, or a quick refund of money if you overpaid. Generally, if I'm selling and shipping something, I keep all the receipts for the entire transaction for at least a year.

That type of service is NOT the norm in the US. Unfortunately, it does happen, but most of your issue with this seller seems to be lack of communication and rudeness on his part! I hope you are able to get an answer out of him. It is a lot of money to have spent and not be upset about it!

Back
Top Bottom