Amaracans haven’t started laying yet, what should I do?

FernbergFarms

Songster
Apr 20, 2019
Northern Minnesota
I have 8 hens and all have been laying for a couple months but 2 of my ameracanas haven’t started laying yet. They are 8 months old so I feel like they should’ve started already... It is already getting cold here and worried that if winter comes and they haven’t started laying by then they won’t lay till next summer.
Is there anything I can give them to start laying or anything I can do? thx

Some take longer than others to begin laying. Just be patient, you'll find an egg in there soon enough ;)

I've had some that took almost 10 months until they laid their first egg! So it's totally normal to take a bit longer, especially with larger breeds.

As for winter time, if you put a light in the coop, so that they get enough hours of daylight, they'll continue to lay. You may want to add this in asap, as the days are getting shorter already.

I have 8 hens and all have been laying for a couple months but 2 of my ameracanas haven’t started laying yet. They are 8 months old so I feel like they should’ve started already... It is already getting cold here and worried that if winter comes and they haven’t started laying by then they won’t lay till next summer.
Is there anything I can give them to start laying or anything I can do? thx
Ameraucanas are notoriously slow to lay, I'd wait it out.

Nope. They are likely stalled in their egg hormones due to the shortening daylight. It's been my experience that pullets need to begin laying regularly before the days get below 12 hours of daylight or else they aren't going to lay until after January (in the northern hemisphere).

This is one reason folks try to wrangle new baby chicks as early in spring as they can get away with.

Do you have any pictures of your pullets? Are their combs turning red? There is a way to feel and measure the width of the pelvic bones to tell if they are laying. Some chickens may be sneaky and try to lay away from the coop. Do you feed your chicken layer feed and have crushed oyster shell available?

Back
Top Bottom