Ameraucana Eggs - Difference in Color

Luke13:34 :

Who is laying the olive egg with the speckles? I'm guessing the bird has some Welsummer in its parentage?

I second that one. Beautiful eggs, what are the different breeds that you have, just for curiosities sake?​

Quote:
Anyone????
hu.gif

Mine are Araucana and some lay blue some lay a gorgeous turquoise, some lay green and some lay khaki. I am working towards breeding my hens to roos from the bluest eggs so that gradually my eggs will get darker blue, especially with my khaki green egg layers.

I think most true ameraucanas overall lay a better color egg than many Araucanas. A couple of things that make the Araucana so difficult to work with are the egg color, the fertility issues with rumplessness and fluffy butts, the difficulty of getting truly nice even tufts on a bird, not to mention getting the perfect representation of the color you are working toward. Then you try to get it all in one bird. Thats a lot to overcome.

So my answer is going out and buying an Araucana is not going to guarantee you the blue eggs unless you by a hen that is already laying, and you know lays blue eggs.

Lanae

Quote:
There was an article in a backyard chicken magazine that said the rooster determines the colour his offspring will lay. If He is an EE that came from a blue egg, he will pass that on. BUt, if you have a dark egger, like a Maran, Wlsummer or Penedesenca, The eggs will be olive.. in Welsummer, spotted too.

If I remember correctly, if you bred a brown egger roo to an EE, it cancels out the colour and they will be beige or tinted. I think this is only in the offspring, later on when they start to lay
I haven't had the chance over time to test this theory , as I eat my eggs and sell them. But, this year, I plan on hatching a few. My girls are getting older and I want to replace them. My Roo's are Black and blue Americaunas from Blehm lines, my girls are blue, black and splash, same lines, and( 3 EE, 3 marans, 3 welsummers and 2 RIR/Americauna x for different egg colours)
I'll be setting the largest, darkest brown eggs, and the largest, prettiest blue eggs.. I'll have room in the freezer for the Roos that hatch...

My understanding is that the blue egg is blue through the entire shell, and does not have the color layered on at the end like a brown egg layer. And I do think you have to have the blue egg gene from the roo for the first generation...

I have had quite an education with the Ameraucana's. And still more to go. You can't even cross breed the colors or they will be considered EE's.

I got all of my non-silkie hens from my local feed store, and was told they were all araucanas (except the 4 white leghorns).
" I thought araucanas were rumpless" I said to the feed store guy-
he replied, "all chickens have tails, you need to do more reading"
This being after I learned here that true Araucanas lack their lower tail vertebrae.....I am new to chickens, not a year under my belt yet, so I decided Americaunas
I guess they are mostly EE, which is fine with me, but this morning my DH came in from the am feeding with the most gorgeous......BRIGHT BLUE eggy!!
yesss.gif
I just wanted an assortment of chickens to have a pretty egg basket
gig.gif
, and have been getting white, cream, pink(ish), bright green and olive, waiting.....hoping for a blue

had to put them in window sill to get decent light.

this pic sort of shows the gamut of colors I am getting (clouds from hurricane Isaac came over while tking pics)

white, light cream, pinkish, cream, olive, green, and today's blue

ETA: Everyone's egg pictures here are so pretty!! I love them all!

Last edited:
I've noticed that blue Ameraucana eggs will fade to green as they age. When I first bought shipped Ameraucana eggs I thought the seller was changing the pic colors. However, after those eggs/hens started laying I had the same gorgeous blue as in the egg pictures. The older the egg, the greener it became.

I've noticed that blue Ameraucana eggs will fade to green as they age. When I first bought shipped Ameraucana eggs I thought the seller was changing the pic colors. However, after those eggs/hens started laying I had the same gorgeous blue as in the egg pictures. The older the egg, the greener it became.
That is interesting how they change from blue to green later in the laying cycle. I am not new to chickens, just Ameraucanas, I have wheaten/blue wheaten chicks and eggs in the incubator. I am wondering which to keep later when breeding these. Do I select the bluest eggs only to hatch? And does the bluest color come from the rooster?

Anyone????
hu.gif

There are a few blue egg laying breeds. The Auracana, the Ameraucana (purebred), Cream Legbar and a couple of other really rare breeds from tropical places. Sometimes with a cross, especially to a white egg layer, you will also get a nice blue egg. Blue eggs vary in shades. If you would like more information on the Ameraucana they have a website. www.ameraucana.org
There is lots of info there, I am still learning more every day! They also address Auracana and Easter Eggers. And Americana spelled with an i will most likely never be a purebred. All the crosses seem to be great birds, that's what the hatcheries count on when they sell Easter Eggers by other names.

I hope this helps you?!

I got all of my non-silkie hens from my local feed store, and was told they were all araucanas (except the 4 white leghorns). " I thought araucanas were rumpless" I said to the feed store guy- he replied, "all chickens have tails, you need to do more reading" This being after I learned here that true Araucanas lack their lower tail vertebrae.....I am new to chickens, not a year under my belt yet, so I decided Americaunas I guess they are mostly EE, which is fine with me, but this morning my DH came in from the am feeding with the most gorgeous......BRIGHT BLUE eggy!!:yesss: I just wanted an assortment of chickens to have a pretty egg basket:gig , and have been getting white, cream, pink(ish), bright green and olive, waiting.....hoping for a blue had to put them in window sill to get decent light. this pic sort of shows the gamut of colors I am getting (clouds from hurricane Isaac came over while tking pics) white, light cream, pinkish, cream, olive, green, and today's blue ETA: Everyone's egg pictures here are so pretty!! I love them all!
Gorgeous eggs!!

Back
Top Bottom