Ameraucana? Or Imposter!?

JAK Rabbitry

Songster
10 Years
May 22, 2009
Freedom, PA - Pittsburgh area
I bought 20 straight run Ameraucana chicks from a woman who breeds and shows locally. She raises black and blue so i'm not surprised most of the chicks turned out to be black, and one shed out to a dark blue. I have a couple roosters that have some cream colored flecks over their wings but other than that they all seem to be colored well.
My question being, I have 2 hens that looks very much like Ameraucanas in body and shape and everything else, but their color is so funky. One has a beautiful fiery red/orange over her neck and stomach, the other has some silver lacing going on around her neck also. Otherwise they look just like the rest. I question their breed because I also ordered some hatching eggs from a breeder on here who threw in some 'just for fun' extras that were crosses and since I hatched and bought so many chicks during that time period, I honestly dont remember who is who.
So, your thoughts?
AM5.jpg

Am3.jpg

Am1.jpg

AM6.jpg

AM4.jpg

Am2.jpg

Yes those are EE's, not purebred but still great chickens. I would question the Roos parentage also if they have white specks. Best thing to do would be to post pictures on the Ameraucana thread.

They could tell you for sure.

Quote:
Ok, they can't possibly be EE's since the breeder I did get that batch from didn't own any Ameraucana's anywhere near the time she sold me eggs. I think they're from the Ameraucana breeder I got my chicks from. But she isn't answering her email. So I have no idea.

Quote:
Ok, they can't possibly be EE's since the breeder I did get that batch from didn't own any Ameraucana's anywhere near the time she sold me eggs. I think they're from the Ameraucana breeder I got my chicks from. But she isn't answering her email. So I have no idea.

Easter Eggers and Ameraucanas are different things, just so you know.
smile.png

Quote:
See I considered that...but I honestly dont think the breeder we got the eggs from own any ameraucanas. I'll pm her and check though.

She could have had an EE rooster - EE's don't have to be first generation
smile.png

They had to come from somewhere. It's possible the 'Ameraucan' breeder has some EE's and doesn't know it... Are all the other birds to standard?

Quote:

Easter Eggers and Ameraucanas are different things, just so you know.
smile.png

I am aware...I mentioned earlier I'd gotten some 'extra' eggs from this breeder that were cross breeds. If she had no purebred ameraucanas to start with, she couldn't cross them with anythin to produce EE's for me. So in conclusion....these birds didn't come from that breeder, which means the only other person they could have come from is the Ameraucana breeder. All my buff orpingtons and Barred rocks turned out to be as advertised and were also from different breeders. I had ordered also some cuckoo marans from Macmurray....clearly these aren't those birds either. I honestly think they're funky colored Ameraucanas.
I have a rooster from the same breeder who shedded out an unusual color. He's much older and is probably 7-8 months now, whereas the younger birds I bought from her are now probably around 5 months. I also bout another 1 year old Ameraucana breeder from someone int he area whose stock was fromt he same breeder. She said he's a purebred but she's selling him because he also has some funky color.
I personally dont care about the color, I just wanted some purebred Ameraucanas. And now I dont know what coop to put them in and i'm getting tiny blue eggs in my assorted laying hens coop!

Quote:
See I considered that...but I honestly dont think the breeder we got the eggs from own any ameraucanas. I'll pm her and check though.

She could have had an EE rooster - EE's don't have to be first generation
smile.png

They had to come from somewhere. It's possible the 'Ameraucan' breeder has some EE's and doesn't know it... Are all the other birds to standard?

Yes they are, infact this breeder is pretty big into showing her birds. so she breeds according to standard and I think she'd notice an EE amongst her purebred birds. she even had a poultry judge come out to vaccinate some birds and was commenting on some of her ameraucanas and how awesome they were. There was one rooster I did get from her originally who was the brother to the rooster she was currently using to produce show birds. This bird had no color issues whatsoever. And dropped dead in my coop for no reason. Hence my funky colored replacement.

Quote:
As someone else said, EE does not mean first generation. Just because she didn't cross a pure Am with another bird doens't mean she doesn't have EEs. An EE crossed with anything is an EE.

Somewhere way back when someone crossed an Am with something else to create the first EE. All further offspring off that are still EEs, even if another pure Am doens't come into the picture.

Very purty birds! I prefer EEs to Ams
smile.png
Much more eye candy!

Back
Top Bottom