Ameraucana rooster? Your thoughts please.

IFCC

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 5, 2014
Big comb, rounded tail feathers but i can't tell if those are saddle feathers. It should be in the neighborhood of 14 to 16 weeks old. What do you think?.

Thanks for any and all opinions.

That is one odd looking pea comb on this one. In fact, the whole bird looks off for pure Ameraucana. Almost looks like it may have something else in the mix. From the super bright red comb, I'd say male, but if you're sure of the age, there would probably be male pointy saddle feathers on it. Long legs there. I'll say cockerel, but it's still making me go "hmm..."

I have BBS Ameraucanas and used to breed them from some really nice stock. None ever had the look of that one's head and comb. Does it have a modified poof on the head? Maybe some Polish in there or Sultan or something else.

Last edited:
Well now I personally don't keep Amers cuz there are so many odd balls out there being passed off as Amers.

I just keep EE's with pure Amer or Aruacana mixed in for the colored eggs. I have a Lavender Aruacana roo with sagging wings and one of my own roos who's father was a Lavender Amer. Point being I make sure to let folks know they're mixed EE's not pure.

Your bird looks to have another breed in it. Perhaps the Buttercup.

Still the important thing to me is that YOU like and take good care of the bird. Beauty is after all in the eye of the beholder.
wink.png

Studio_BtrcpHn_7939_L2.jpg

Yup, could be the Buttercup, too, but it definitely has something else in the genetics. That comb is not a pea comb, at least not a pure one. Thanks for posting that picture, Tim. I do think I see a poufy head on it, too. I had some hens who were Cochin/Silkie over Barred Rock and each one had a modified pouf like that. With a Silkie's walnut comb, could even be a Silkie cross. All mine had yellow skin and no feathers on the legs, but that pouf cannot be denied, lol!

And the original poster only wanted to know if it was male. Now, he/she gets the news that it's not even an Ameraucana. More than you wanted to know, eh?

Last edited:
Well now, I can't see it hurts to educate folks. Saw a posting for a "White" Wyandotte rooster on CL. Really? Too the IFCC might see the Buttercup and go "oohhh those are pretty, I think I'll get me some".
lol.png

00U0U_dUIBb8JU2vy_600x450.jpg

Big comb, rounded tail feathers but i can't tell if those are saddle feathers. It should be in the neighborhood of 14 to 16 weeks old. What do you think?.

Thanks for any and all opinions.
Where are you located, are you in the UK?

I'm in east Tennessee. It very well could be a EE, I was just going by what the man I got them from told me. I'll try to get a good close up picture of the comb and post it.

Here is a closer look at it's comb.

This is it's brother, at least i think so, it has some brown coming out and it is now out growing the one in question.

Here is a closer look at it's comb.

This is it's brother, at least i think so, it has some brown coming out and it is now out growing the one in question.

The one in question definitely has a poufy head and a combination comb of some type, so it's mixed with something that has a topknot, either Silkie or Polish or something like that. The second one has his gold base color showing through, a fairly common fault and one that will pass on to his progeny. I've had experience with that as well. It tends to show in the males rather than the females.

Back
Top Bottom