Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Quote:Could be ee's, could be lavender splits...... a number of things it could be.

[​IMG]

2. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    They definitely aren't EEs. I'll try to get some pics of them.

3. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    Okay, this is the smaller one. I believe it to be a blue female. The larger one is black and the comb looks different too.

[​IMG]

4. dldolan

dldolan WineNChooks

Aug 11, 2010
    Sonoma County, CA
    pips&peeps :

Quote:Could be ee's, could be lavender splits...... a number of things it could be.

http://home.freeuk.com/jrknight/smileys/postpics.gif

I posted pics of Norbert's eye and would love to hear your thoughts on that as well, pretty please! Post #10209 here back a few pages. Only one other person has said they have this issue so far. I am in CA and they in Alaska...mine from John Blehm as day-old and not sure about theirs...
    Thanks a ton!
    Dawn​

5. dldolan

dldolan WineNChooks

Aug 11, 2010
    Sonoma County, CA
    Quote:Wow, pretty! Face looks way more Auracana-ish, no?

6. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    Quote:Wow, pretty! Face looks way more Auracana-ish, no?

I think she is absolutely beautiful. Her and the black one are my absolute favorites.

7. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Quote:I've had a couple with dark combs before and attributed it to the FM gene. Which is a dark pigment gene most often found in the silky.

But my birds were not that dark.

On the eyes, give the bird time to mature, it takes quite a while for the eye color to fully develop. There is not alot of literature on eye color, but have found birds raised inside tend to take longer to develop eye color.

8. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    I will most definitely keep an eye on them. I really love the way they look. Kind of dark and exotic.

9. wingsofglory

wingsofglory Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Palmer Alaska
    Mine with the unusual eyes are not from John Blehm. They are from Fancy Chick.

I'm concerned because pupil off shapes and dark spots in iris can indicate physical weaknesses. In adults that have developed them after not having them, it is acquired over the lifetime, like nutrient deficiencies or toxin buildup contributing to metabolic disorders or organ disease. But in chicks from day one, it is from the parents. So I'm wondering about the diet of the parents. The area of the iris right around the pupil would indicate weaknesses in the digestive organs.

This is my first BBS Ameraucanas, the only batch I've brooded that slept a lot. Really really mellow, not tearing up their box or excavating it or throwing over the water cooler like my mixed batches of EE, Rocks, Brahmas, RIR, Wyndottes, Brabanters. Maybe their temperment is just that way, like Black Australorps.

On the dark faces - Sumatra also have dark skin I think. And beautiful black feathers with irridescent sheen.

10. dldolan

dldolan WineNChooks

Aug 11, 2010
    Sonoma County, CA
    Mine has mottled iris eyes. The color is fine, i think! Oh well. Here is a close up I took today. Definitely not a round iris!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by