Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. wingsofglory

wingsofglory Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Palmer Alaska
    Very good photo!

Maybe this is just a novel genetic pattern of eye color. I hope!

In your photo, Didolin, the dark areas are iris, making the iris two colors, and not pupil irregularities.

I can't see the pupil itself and its shape in the photo.

2. dldolan

dldolan WineNChooks

Aug 11, 2010
    Sonoma County, CA
    His eyes kind of look like tiger-eye stones! He is not the brightest bulb, but is very sweet! He was hot today and I snapped this as he was fluffing out trying to cool off. He is feathering in nicely, I think! Got the Juvie molts going on, too! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Quote:Very pretty.

4. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    On the ones with the black combs.... is the rest of the skin also black? I'd drop John Blehm a line and ask if he's had this show up in his line before. Sounds like an errant gene found its way into your chicks! Personally.... I like it, and think you should develop it and petition to add it as a new accepted color for Ameraucanas (.....KIDDING!!!!!!) (I do like it though ;-) )

5. dak

dak geek dvm

Mar 21, 2010
    Quote:There seems to be a slow feathering gene floating around, especially in the Lavs/Splits were the males take forever to get their tail feathers.

6. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Quote:They aren't from John and they aren't lav splits........ they are from someone else.

7. Phage

Phage Mad Scientist

Aug 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Quote:Do they have black skin elsewhere too?

8. ChicksterJo

ChicksterJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Grounded on Earth
    My white Am's via NoseyChickens are already 11 weeks old..Hard to get a pic of them because they are always flapping around and being very curious.
    Here's one hiding under the small nectarine tree when they heard a plane overhead.
    [​IMG]
    And here they are wandering around the tree.
    [​IMG]

9. flower

flower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    Hey Chickterjo, I see that your girls are loosing a few feathers here and there. So is smoky ! He and I had a nice lap sit this moring and I did not even have any treats. I promise pictures in his new digs soon. Unfortunatly I do not have any nice LF Ameraucana hens for him and right now he is good with the banties. He hasn't asked to call home so I guess he doesn't mind being here.

10. ChicksterJo

ChicksterJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Grounded on Earth
    [​IMG]

He's been won over! I bet he doesn't even remember me or his siblings. [​IMG] That's fine, he sounds happy and still sweet, I see!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by