Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. ChicksterJo

ChicksterJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Grounded on Earth
    Quote:Just a broad-spectrum like tetracycline. You can get those foil packs at TSC or the co-op for like $5. Good thing to keep around just in case. If they share water with laying hens keep her and maybe a buddy seperated for a couple days until she's done with meds.

I will see if I can get this at one of my local feed stores. I don't have a TSC around here. [​IMG]

2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:Both of my remaining white AMs both have eye problems as well. But other then that they're acting normal. [​IMG]

~ Aspen

3. Zonoma

Zonoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Northern Kentucky
    Through a series of strange circumstances (read: OMG! You have AURACANAS, TOO!???! while buying other chicks), I acquired two. I call them Daphne and Velma. I don't know what you would call their color, though. I'll take pics tomorrow. Both have the most beautiful feathers!

4. ChicksterJo

Feb 19, 2011
    Grounded on Earth
    Update: All 3 are normal as of this evening; the one with the closed eye now has them both open all the time. She ate, stared down my Red Star, and tried to pile on top of her siblings on the roost. Crazy as usual...I hope tomorrow her eye problem doesn't return. I will still buy some tetracycline anyway if I could get my hands on it.

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy, do you only have girls left?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  5. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:I think so, but I may have one boy. My dog, Gpysy, killed one of them. Before that I knew I had a trio, but now I don't know? [​IMG]

~ Aspen

6. BuffyGRL

BuffyGRL Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Loving those pictures. I like White Ameraucanas, just don't have any room for anything else, LOL

7. ChicksterJo

Feb 19, 2011
    Grounded on Earth
    Today she seems fine? [​IMG] Must have been a slight injury....
    Thanks, BuffyGRL. I don't have room either but I still want more. Must fight the urge! I think I may have one more boy, I don't know. It could be a very masculine pullet but I doubt it. I saw one of them today picking leaves off that tree and letting it fall to the ground, while the other one ate them up.

8. syble

syble Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    i hatched out some lavender ameracuanas a bit ago. they are fully featherd and growing well now. i think i have 2-3 roos and 3-4 hens. I only intend to keep one roo, any key faults i should look out for? and how fluffy should their beards be? 1 looks russian!

9. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:You want to watch out for single combs, feather quality, and type. The lavenders are still very "Orp-y", and you want to move your flock away form that.

This is my second-to-last batch of wheatens for the year (for myself) (i hope) and some of my projects. We may not like the weather we're having but I have had the best hatches lately. Not being shipped eggs probably has something to do with it too.

[​IMG]

10. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Cute bunch! Its been pretty hot here. I only kept the light on my chicks for the first few days. After that they've been fine with out it. I do have a building I use as a brooder outside though so I don't have to worry about inside temps. Mine are now almost 3 weeks old and made the move to an outside coop. No losses and all are doing great. I cant wait to see them as adults.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by