Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. cpegram

cpegram Chillin' With My Peeps

Awe adorable happymtn. [​IMG]

2. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Overrun With Chickens

Jun 19, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Quick question... I have three different lines of females and some are "stouter" and some are "sleeker", by quite a bit... Which is preferred? Thanks!

3. syble

syble Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    Quote:You want to watch out for single combs, feather quality, and type. The lavenders are still very "Orp-y", and you want to move your flock away form that.

This is my second-to-last batch of wheatens for the year (for myself) (i hope) and some of my projects. We may not like the weather we're having but I have had the best hatches lately. Not being shipped eggs probably has something to do with it too.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/28521_100_5224.jpg

Well none have single combs, i was watching close for that! What do you mean by orpy(orpingtonish lol)? i have orps the same age and everything about them is different, general frame is held different, they have no where near the width that the orps have. I don't notice much difference between the group to be honest... fluffier beards really haha.

I can see about trying to take some photos tomorrow if that will help? you can pick em apart haha
    Thanks
    Sib

4. dldolan

dldolan WineNChooks

Aug 11, 2010
    Sonoma County, CA
    Quote:I'm late getting to this as I'm on vacation, yippee! But I would like to know where you got your white AMs? Mine was the only one in the batch of 50 birds from John Blehm. Does someone in California, or do you, raise them? I'd love to find Norbert some same-color females as himself!
    Thanks!

5. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:I'm late getting to this as I'm on vacation, yippee! But I would like to know where you got your white AMs? Mine was the only one in the batch of 50 birds from John Blehm. Does someone in California, or do you, raise them? I'd love to find Norbert some same-color females as himself!
    Thanks!

Their whites came from NoseyChickens. She's in CA. [​IMG]

6. Ivywoods

Ivywoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Hiawatha, KS
    Yes, I would like to have someone describe what they mean by "orpy" about the lavenders. I have a bunch of lavender juveniles that I am growing out, and I would like to educate myself enough to pick the best ones out of mine for breeding. I am not sure of the specific characteristics that are being referred to as "orpy."

I think I asked this question before, but I don't remember it being answered, so if someone did I guess I missed it.

7. ChicksterJo

ChicksterJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Grounded on Earth
    Thanks!

Yep, what Cloverleaf mentioned; mine are from NoseyChickens. You can contact her..she has such beautiful chickens! Their daddy is so regal-looking.

8. Christie Rhae

Christie Rhae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Would anyone like to take a gender guess on my 10 day old wheaten? Oh and can you tell yet..wheaten or blue wheaten? Or is it still way too early? So excited!
    Here is Balto/Starwish (depending on outcome...lol)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks!

9. syble

syble Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    Quote:You want to watch out for single combs, feather quality, and type. The lavenders are still very "Orp-y", and you want to move your flock away form that.[/url]

So in addition to what Orpy entails, here is a head shot from 2 of the boys (i think, still a bit hard to tell).

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    This guy has a more defined 3 row comb. the beard is smaller and more compact

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    This guy has a much more pronounced beard, very bushy. His comb is not as defined as the other though, its like 2.5 rows...

10. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Quote:Too early for me to hazzard a guess, but there's a 50% chance it's male. [​IMG]

Are its legs and beak as yellow as they look in the pic?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by