Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    Quote:No, they often have lighter legs as youngsters and darken to slate as they mature, but light = white-ish, never yellow. All Ameraucanas are supposed to have white skin... [​IMG]

Gosh maybe my camera lighting is off then. I don't have any other chick legs to compare it to. In my limited experience I would not describe it's legs as white. Definitely a pale yellow-ish. I have no doubts at all about it's parentage. So it must be my photography. I will take a look at this little guy in regular light tomorrow... maybe not with an orange back ground....lol

That baby is from my girls' eggs. I jsut hatched out some and they do start out more light yellow than white and darken to blue in a few weeks starting at the knuckles on the toes. I just went back and took a better look at that picture and the legs do look ORANGE! I've never seen that here on the farm nor have I had any reports of that from our offspring. Got to be the photography. What are you feeding the spoiled chick Christy?

2. ParadiseFoundFarm

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    Quote:What happened?

3. FOGELLY

FOGELLY Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2010
    Arkansas
    Quote:Gosh maybe my camera lighting is off then. I don't have any other chick legs to compare it to. In my limited experience I would not describe it's legs as white. Definitely a pale yellow-ish. I have no doubts at all about it's parentage. So it must be my photography. I will take a look at this little guy in regular light tomorrow... maybe not with an orange back ground....lol

That baby is from my girls' eggs. I jsut hatched out some and they do start out more light yellow than white and darken to blue in a few weeks starting at the knuckles on the toes. I just went back and took a better look at that picture and the legs do look ORANGE! I've never seen that here on the farm nor have I had any reports of that from our offspring. Got to be the photography. What are you feeding the spoiled chick Christy?

Christy,
    Don't stress my chicks from Denise had similar looking legs and beaks. All of them are now slate. I have probably have paid more attention to the development of these chicks than any other breed we have raised. The reason is that I am not familiar with their color development and wanted to get good mental images for the future. Your chick looks like our BW's looked at that age. Your still a few weeks away from being able to determine gender. By the way since we raise Quail for simplicity I feed every bird on our place Game Bird Feed. This may effect the color of their legs it centanly seems to in my RIR which are much deeper yellow when they are feed the Game Bird Breeder.
    I would also like to say they are by far the most tame chickens I have! My wife is already asking me when they will be laying so we can raise some more.

4. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I will have chicks available to ship out today on the 24 hr auction thread.

Mostly buff birds, I had someone from Hawaii e-mail a couple times and wanted chicks from me. When I went to get the import paperwork done after I set the eggs, they wouldn't respond to any of my e-mails.

5. 1000islandspoultry

1000islandspoultry Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    When I went to get the import paperwork done after I set the eggs, they wouldn't respond to any of my e-mails.

Well now, isn't that frustrating! [​IMG]

6. Harris5

Harris5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Northern CA
    pips&peeps :

Mostly buff birds, I had someone from Hawaii e-mail a couple times and wanted chicks from me. When I went to get the import paperwork done after I set the eggs, they wouldn't respond to any of my e-mails.

Bummer about the import paperwork.

What 24 hour auction thread?​

7. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
  8. Christie Rhae

Christie Rhae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    pips&peeps :

Well it just goes to show I should not take things personal. At first I thought this post was referring to me just because I live in Hawaii. lol​

9. ParadiseFoundFarm

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    ./

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  10. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Can anyone answer my question? Its two pages back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by