Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Quote:Their backs are supposed to be moderate length and broad; breasts full and rounded. If "sleeker" refers to more slender bodied, it's not a desired trait.

2. Hi! Has anybody used Vitamin & Electrolytes in their Ameraucana water and had the egg shell change color?
    I may have been a little heavy-handed when I was mixing the solution.
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

3. Chiko

Chiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    Does anyone have Silver Bantam Ameraucanas? I have 4, 4 week old babies and I want to know what they'll be like as adults. For some reason Google Images isn't working for me...Thank you! -Hector.

4. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Overrun With Chickens

Jun 19, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Quote:Their backs are supposed to be moderate length and broad; breasts full and rounded. If "sleeker" refers to more slender bodied, it's not a desired trait.

Ahh ok thank you. All my Meredith chicks are REALLY sleek... I call them my little F-16's... they are long legged, lean bodied and fast.

5. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    Quote:forgive me,

I like big backs and I cannot lie...you other fellows can't deny, when a hen walks by with an itty bitty comb and a round thing in your face...

6. Arizonachicken

Arizonachicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Scottsdale, AZ
    [​IMG]

7. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    So i have a black ameracauna roo with some gold leakage on his hackle feathers and i have a blue ameracauna cockerel with gold leakage on his back. Is this normal for roos or is it bad? Here is a pic of my blue
    [​IMG]
    ETA his legs are not green and his comb is not that red, i dont get why they are in this pic
    Here is my Black
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  8. Christie Rhae

Christie Rhae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Quote:Too early for me to hazzard a guess, but there's a 50% chance it's male. [​IMG]

Are its legs and beak as yellow as they look in the pic?

LOL! Well it is good to know my odds! lol.
    I was using a flash in the pics but I am pretty sure the color is fairly accurate. It is a wheaten so from what I understand this is normal?

9. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:Too early for me to hazzard a guess, but there's a 50% chance it's male. [​IMG]

Are its legs and beak as yellow as they look in the pic?

LOL! Well it is good to know my odds! lol.
    I was using a flash in the pics but I am pretty sure the color is fairly accurate. It is a wheaten so from what I understand this is normal?

No, they often have lighter legs as youngsters and darken to slate as they mature, but light = white-ish, never yellow. All Ameraucanas are supposed to have white skin... [​IMG]

10. Christie Rhae

Christie Rhae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Quote:LOL! Well it is good to know my odds! lol.

No, they often have lighter legs as youngsters and darken to slate as they mature, but light = white-ish, never yellow. All Ameraucanas are supposed to have white skin... [​IMG]

Gosh maybe my camera lighting is off then. I don't have any other chick legs to compare it to. In my limited experience I would not describe it's legs as white. Definitely a pale yellow-ish. I have no doubts at all about it's parentage. So it must be my photography. I will take a look at this little guy in regular light tomorrow... maybe not with an orange back ground....lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by