Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    What do you guys think about this young Blue Wheaten cockerel, is he too light? There is a typical BW in the foreground... just trying to get a feel... Thanks!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Looks like a darker splash wheaten to me. Some of my regular blue splash boys end up with no white on them at all, just a very pale pale blue.

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Here is a beautiful Wheaten/Bl Wheaten boy. He is SO sweet and loves to sit on my arm while I walk to the mail box [​IMG] His dad is a BL wheaten and his mom a wheaten...still not possitive what he is. He does have a lot of blue in him so I'm thinking bl wheaten? What do you guys think? He's the one in the middle on the bottom picture.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. I love ameraucanas! They are so sweet. pic1-Wheaten Ameraucana roo pic2-blue ameraucana pullet pic3-my splash AM roo pic4-my other splash AM roo pic5-blue wheaten AM pullet
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. ChicksterJo

ChicksterJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Grounded on Earth
    Your birds are very beautiful.

I have an issue today - one of my Ameraucanas is keeping one of its eyes closed. Sometimes she opens it but most of the time today she has kept it shut. She seems to act mostly normal, except now that one of her eyes is closed she prefers to lay and rest. Her poop is normal, no nasal or eye discharge. Breathing is fine and I fed her some egg, which she enjoyed. Sometimes it looks like she gets a burst of energy, pecks around, eats and plays a little with her siblings but then she rests again and sleeps. Any clue as to what is bothering her? Maybe her eye was scratched? I noticed that her eyes compared to her siblings are different in that the pupils are not well defined and are kind of 'mottled' or 'splotchy.' When she opens her closed eye, it looks like her other eye but both are splotchy.

6. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I've got at least 6 wheaten chicks from multiple lines available (because of a cancellation) in SE TN. Not going to place an ad just yet because I'm not going to really be around. PM or email me if interested. These are Ribbeck, Meredith, Tailfeathers, Peachick, and F2s and F3s of each. My Ribbeck BW roo has clear hackles and he is the dominant one.

7. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:Could be an injury. I had a similar problem in my faverolles when there was a picker in the bunch. I always put them on antibiotics for a couple days in that case so they don't get infected.

8. ChicksterJo

ChicksterJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Grounded on Earth
    What medicine do you recommend?
    I just 'bathed' the three of them in plain water and I think that encouraged them to dust bathe so now they are all three bathing in the same hole. Funny to watch. The one with the problem still keeps her eye closed somewhat but she is very active and dusting up a storm.
    Thanks for any advice. [​IMG]

9. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:Just a broad-spectrum like tetracycline. You can get those foil packs at TSC or the co-op for like $5. Good thing to keep around just in case. If they share water with laying hens keep her and maybe a buddy seperated for a couple days until she's done with meds.

10. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I have 5 that my dd's class hatched.Only 2 have the fluffy facial feathers.They all lay blue eggs.

My favorite is Poopy Face because she comes up to all of us and *talks*,and she lets us hold and pet her.

I kept a blog going for her classmates to see the chickens.
    http://msmvchicks.blogspot.com/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by