Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

But I'm thinking I do t have too many little pullets..!
Anyone wanna take a guess? Maybe their too young to tell.

Love them babies!
love.gif
They are so cute!!! They are a little young for me to guess! I can't tell on mine and they are 5 weeks old now!

Hello! I just hatched my first batch of chicks. Sad to say it didnt go very good. I stsrted with 22 eggs mixed and lockdown had 14 and only 6 hatched. 2 pipped and dead right away of those 14 and the rest nothing.
2 of my hatched chicks are Ameraucana. One is a beautiful female and the other really struggled to hatch and came out with its yolk sac and (i think its a male) is very tiny and a little odd looking.
Any ideas what could be going in with him? I can share pics if that helps. LMK. Thanks

Hello! I just hatched my first batch of chicks. Sad to say it didnt go very good. I stsrted with 22 eggs mixed and lockdown had 14 and only 6 hatched. 2 pipped and dead right away of those 14 and the rest nothing.
2 of my hatched chicks are Ameraucana. One is a beautiful female and the other really struggled to hatch and came out with its yolk sac and (i think its a male) is very tiny and a little odd looking.
Any ideas what could be going in with him? I can share pics if that helps. LMK. Thanks
Pics yes.

Put a damp paper towel in a coffee cup, then put the chick in the cup and trap him in there with cheese cloth or panty hose. Then put him where he can stay warm, but not too warm, we don't want him to over heat.

He hatched on Saturday. Should I still do this? Its all dried up now but has a bump. I'll go take some pics so you can see it and one of both my Ameraucanas so you can see what I mean when I saw he doesnt look right. I hope he lives. Im already attached. I feel so bad because I know it was an issue with my incubator. Im not suppose to have males where I live but wont let him go if his not normal so Im going to have to try the No crow collar when the time comes. Anyways, Ill go take some better pictures. I really appericiate your response. Thank you

Look at the link in my signature. If you go to that thread, there are a lot of people with every kind of incubator imaginable. Click on that link, tell them what happened and what kind of incubator you had. I'm guessing styrofoam, and you went by the manual. Another good thread is the "She said/He said" thread in the incubating section. Sounds to me like all of your issues are traceable back to the incubation parameters
ETA: that link is the ss/hs thread. I was smart enough not to link the Frog :gig

Last edited:
Thank you for your response. Im pretty possitive it was between the incubator and the fact my spare room they were kept in is small and changes temp a lot pretty drastically. I had to keep the door closed too because of my other pets. My very first batch my pig got into at 1 week incubation time and ate them all. My dog has been a turd too and almost caught our brooder on fire today. Im now locking the door as I have a forgetful 5 yr old whom doesnt remember to close the door. Ugh. Im posting pics of my chicks below. I will check out that thread and Im definately getting a fan for my incubator and a better probe therm/hyrometer and probably a heavy screen door for that room before I do this again. Im the official Chicken Serial Killer. Im not even sure my egg lady will sell me more after me screwing up 2 batches of her amazing eggs. I lost several Icelandics and Black Copper Marans, Seramas and others. Grrr.

Back
Top Bottom