Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

My 2 Ameraucanas. You can see a clear difference in size.

His belly

3 days old he also makes a different sound than my other ameraucana.

And here is all of my chicks. You cant miss the little black one. Hes so tiny if I didnt know what egg he came out of I would think he was a serama. Not sure if her male Serama could impregnant an Amerauana and still get a blue eggs??!!

She said sure !!! ( but she was thinking. "Not another building project, and I hope he doesn't saw another appendage off!" ).
smile.png

Fortunately that is a self limiting "habit"
wink.png

Well Im just glad I know the difference between the two now. I cant help but say im a lil bummed out, but im sure my EE will be just fine. Thanks again for your help. Its appreciated.

I have EEs (hatchery) and I follow 2 threads you might want to check out. You can post a picture and sometimes people will say "My xxx looked like that". There is no 'standard' for EEs but there are some general patterns that are common. NO ONE can tell you what color an EE pullet will lay until you show them the first egg.

Unless you are weird
wink.png
you will spend a lot of time here until you know what gender your EE is:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/463817/easter-egger-sexing-tips-and-tricks-pictures-included

And a general EE thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/273489/the-ee-braggers-thread

Quote:
Grandpa Flock is missing his babies
wink.png

Thank you for your response. Im pretty possitive it was between the incubator and the fact my spare room they were kept in is small and changes temp a lot pretty drastically. I had to keep the door closed too because of my other pets. My very first batch my pig got into at 1 week incubation time and ate them all. My dog has been a turd too and almost caught our brooder on fire today. Im now locking the door as I have a forgetful 5 yr old whom doesnt remember to close the door. Ugh. Im posting pics of my chicks below. I will check out that thread and Im definately getting a fan for my incubator and a better probe therm/hyrometer and probably a heavy screen door for that room before I do this again. Im the official Chicken Serial Killer. Im not even sure my egg lady will sell me more after me screwing up 2 batches of her amazing eggs. I lost several Icelandics and Black Copper Marans, Seramas and others. Grrr.

Mama Heating Pad:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/956958/mama-heating-pad-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update

or commercial "heat plate" chick brooder

Neither will catch your brooder on fire. I know of 2 instances on BYC in the last week where heat lamps became dangerous. One only had melted plastic, the other lost her coop and chicks.

His belly

And here is all of my chicks. You cant miss the little black one. Hes so tiny if I didnt know what egg he came out of I would think he was a serama. Not sure if her male Serama could impregnant an Amerauana and still get a blue eggs??!!
I hate to say it, but those don't look like Ameraucana. Those look like Easter Egger chicks.
hide.gif

Hope that little one makes it.

His belly

June is right, those are EEs, which is fine if that's what you have. I don't want to clutter up this thread with incubation advice, but you really do need some help. Check out that other thread

How can you tell the difference between EEs and Ameraucanas? All my eggs were Tiffany blue other than my white Icelandics and the cream colored eggs that the 2 yellow ones and my chipmunk chick came from. I know the lady i got my eggs from had dozens of different breeds and most free ranged. Thanks for all the help. Im not incubating again for awhile. It started as a Science Fair project for my 11 yrs old but I decided to keep them and building a beautiful coop and large run for them now.

One thing you will find mentioned here is that if the birds were not sold as a specific color of Ameraucana, they aren't Ameraucana.

And if by "free ranged" you mean all together out there, every chick will be a "Heinz 57". Roosters aren't real particular about breeding only with their own "kind".

The more knowledgeable here can give you specifics, but I don't think an Ameraucana will ever be chipmunk patterned.

How can you tell the difference between EEs and Ameraucanas? All my eggs were Tiffany blue other than my white Icelandics and the cream colored eggs that the 2 yellow ones and my chipmunk chick came from. I know the lady i got my eggs from had dozens of different breeds and most free ranged. Thanks for all the help. Im not incubating again for awhile. It started as a Science Fair project for my 11 yrs old but I decided to keep them and building a beautiful coop and large run for them now.
The chipmunk stripe. Ameraucanas only come in accepted colors, and the offspring colors will be based on the parents. EEs come in a variety of colors, and many of their chicks will have that distinctive chipmunk stripe. EEs are wonderful birds, and can lay blue, green, brown, even pink eggs, but they are not standard bred Ameraucana

The blue egg shell color came from the mother, if she was an Ameraucana. No matter what rooster she was with, her egg will look the same. So yes, a Serama rooster could impregnate an Ameraucana and the egg will look exactly the same. The chicks will look quite different, depending on which rooster fertilized the eggs. The chicks are then all EEs.

Back
Top Bottom