Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Quote:
Are the wheaten birds that result from blue wheatens technically a split blue? (genetic newby here)

No they are not, Wheaten/Blue Wheaten genetics work the same as b/b/s genetics. The Bl gene which causes black to be diluted to blue can be given in either 0,1, or 2 copies. In the case of wheatens, absence of bl give wheaten, 1 copy of bl gives blue wheaten, and 2 copies gives splash wheaten.

Quote:
Are the wheaten birds that result from blue wheatens technically a split blue? (genetic newby here)

No they are not, Wheaten/Blue Wheaten genetics work the same as b/b/s genetics. The Bl gene which causes black to be diluted to blue can be given in either 0,1, or 2 copies. In the case of wheatens, absence of bl give wheaten, 1 copy of bl gives blue wheaten, and 2 copies gives splash wheaten.

Thank you! that makes sense to me now

Quote:
that is right, forgot about all the colors that are being worked on
wink.png

Last edited:
62941_lady.jpg

Just got this beauty yesterday, she is just over a year old, can't wait to see her pretty eggs....I lost my Wheaten to a dog getting a hold of her, so I needed to replace her....This hens name is "Lady"

I was reading trying to catch up and saw a comment on the Splash will probably never be accepted and was just wondering why when it is just a double dilute off of the black. B/B/S breed true as far as in their "color scheme" so to speak. Maybe it's because of my horse background that I'm having a problem understanding because the black is the same as a sorrel, blue is the same as a palomino (one dilute gene), and splash is the same as a cremello (double dilute gene) and they are just recognized and registered accordingly. I guess that's my problem....lol
smile.png

Quote:
No. "White Wheaten" is not a color, depending on whether or not your White birds are dominant or recessive for the color you would most likely get a White bird with bad red leakage.

Right experts?

Said birds would the just be crosses and could not (or should not) be bred back to anything pure.

Hi guys, back from the show in Hamilton, MT.

My black hen placed Reserve of Show in Show 1 and my black bantam cockerel placed Reserve AOCCL in Show 1. My buff cock placed Reserve AOSB in Show 1.

I will post Show II results later, can't remember at the moment, still very tired and have to get the kids off to school.

Back
Top Bottom