Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Quote:
I'm going to make an attempt at this, but any of you with more experience feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Horses are "registered" according to their parentage. There is no registry for chickens. There is a standard, and breeders attempt to keep and breed their birds according to which is closest to the standard. Sometimes chickens are "mixed" for a generation in order to attempt to incorporate more or less of a certain trait.

With splashes, although basic form can be kept to the standard, color pattern is pretty uncontrollable, and thus there is no way to dictate that a splash should look this way or that way.

It would be like telling your paint horses (which again, are registered due to parentage) that they can only have white here or white there and not somewhere else on their body. How they "color up" is an infinite number of ways.

Quote:
I'm going to make an attempt at this, but any of you with more experience feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Horses are "registered" according to their parentage. There is no registry for chickens. There is a standard, and breeders attempt to keep and breed their birds according to which is closest to the standard. Sometimes chickens are "mixed" for a generation in order to attempt to incorporate more or less of a certain trait.

With splashes, although basic form can be kept to the standard, color pattern is pretty uncontrollable, and thus there is no way to dictate that a splash should look this way or that way.

It would be like telling your paint horses (which again, are registered due to parentage) that they can only have white here or white there and not somewhere else on their body. How they "color up" is an infinite number of ways.

When you say "color up" do you mean just the splash out of the b/b/s or including all splash as in the wheatens....maybe that's my problem too, I wasn't thinking of them, just b/b/s. But even then you could have a splash wheaten color as you know the dilute genes still work the same. I guess I'm just too new to this. You know if you breed a blue to a blue, a blue to a splash or a splash to a splash that some will be splash and when they feather out you know a splash bird from a splash bird and that they have double dilute genes....same as a splash wheaten....that's what I don't understand. If you know the genetics and they are true within thier "color group". Does that make any more sense?
smile.png
hu.gif

pips&peeps :

Hi guys, back from the show in Hamilton, MT.

My black hen placed Reserve of Show in Show 1 and my black bantam cockerel placed Reserve AOCCL in Show 1. My buff cock placed Reserve AOSB in Show 1.

I will post Show II results later, can't remember at the moment, still very tired and have to get the kids off to school.

That's fantastic!! Congratulations!!!!
yippiechickie.gif
ya.gif

congrats on the BIG Wins !!!!

pips&peeps :

My black hen placed Reserve of Show in Show 1 and my black bantam cockerel placed Reserve AOCCL in Show 1. My buff cock placed Reserve AOSB in Show 1.

I will post Show II results later, can't remember at the moment, still very tired and have to get the kids off to school.​

pips&peeps :

I will post Show II results later, can't remember at the moment, still very tired and have to get the kids off to school.

Congratulations on all the wins!

I just moved my silvers out of their brooder tank into a step-up pen. (The larger pen is not finished yet!) Gosh those guys are sure flighty. I'm hoping I will be able to calm then down some with some special treats or something.​

I have some very nice lavender bantam chicks hatched out of eggs from little ameracaunamom, they are really cute little peanuts. The eggs she sent were a beautiful clear blue. Can't wait to see how they grow up.

Back
Top Bottom