Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. ca

ca Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    Wickenburg
    Quote:I am so bad at that it isnt even funny! It takes me forever to be able to tell. Sorry. [​IMG]

I am NOT experienced with ameraucanas. But I am pretty sure I can tell who is who out of my three black 6 week olds. I am judging by size, behaviour, posture... and leg circumference [​IMG]

2. LarissaCluck

LarissaCluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    Central Coast, CA
    Quote:If it makes you feel any better I have a lavender at 12 weeks that I am still questioning!

3. LarissaCluck

LarissaCluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    Central Coast, CA
    Quote:If it makes you feel any better I have a lavender at 12 weeks that I am still questioning!

Or maybe that would make you feel worse....lol.

4. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    It's raining here today, so thought we were due for some fluffy cuteness:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Quote:Raining or not, fluffy cuteness is ALWAYS appreciated! Thanks for sharing your cuties!!! [​IMG]

6. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    Quote:When is SOMBODY going to make a bird that stays that way? [​IMG] at least for a long time. Too cute! [​IMG]

7. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:When is SOMBODY going to make a bird that stays that way? [​IMG] at least for a long time. Too cute! [​IMG]

LOL [​IMG]

8. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL

LOL [​IMG]

Yeah! and we could keep them ina terrarium and listlen to the soft cheeps all day long.....sigh.... [​IMG]

9. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:LOL [​IMG]

Yeah! and we could keep them ina terrarium and listlen to the soft cheeps all day long.....sigh.... [​IMG]

OMG! I JUST told my son I was sick of all the dang cheeping in the house!! Probably AS you were typing that! [​IMG] I really need to move the brooder that's right next to my computer! [​IMG]

10. Ivywoods

Ivywoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Hiawatha, KS
    I have a question for some of the breeders here.

How long do you wait to start eliminating some of the birds that you do not want to keep for breeding? Most of my chicks are just over 2 months old now, and I really can't tell much difference in them other than some are bigger than others.

I have 6 wheatens. Three roos and 3 hens. I only want to keep one or two pair. What would be the first things to look for as far as deciding which ones would be the best to keep for breeding?

My blacks lavenders and silvers I am not totally sure on the sexes yet, so I will definitely wait on them.

How long do you guys wait and what criteria do you use for selection of breeders? Do you have a process of elimination that you use?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by