Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Quote:ee

2. pips&peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Quote:at 7 weeks I would say both cockerels

3. BarnChick

BarnChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Spirit Lake
    pips&peeps :

and what makes that determination? is there something to look for or to avoid?​

4. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana

and what makes that determination? is there something to look for or to avoid?

There is no variety of Ameraucana that has a partridge-y down color that is a red flag for EE.

5. BarnChick

BarnChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Spirit Lake
  6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:the color is not correct for a silver ameraucana. the only place you can get a true ameraucana is from a breeder. feed stores sell ee, labeled as ameraucana...

7. Christie Rhae

Christie Rhae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Quote:I would trust the experts. They may look like similar colored chicks but I am sure there are huge differences that our untrained eyes cannot see.
    I bet there are breeders that would be happy to provide a pure bred Ameraucana for 4H.

8. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    if you notice the leg color is a big difference. I would almost bet money to say that those legs will mature green/willow. Also if you notice the sivers have chimpmunk strips yes but the other colors are steel gray and black. If we show you a picture of a partridge not silver chick you will see more of a similarity.

http://image06.webshots.com/6/9/99/92/78499992xLUQQJ_ph.jpg

here is a picture of some partridge rock chicks. your guy looks more like these than the silver chicks you posted a link to [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. pips&peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

They are not the same color; and yes that looks like partridge down. See how yours is brown and has a "face mask". There are certain chick down colors that all ameraucanas have when they hatch and yours is not one. Sorry.

The North Idaho Fair does accept production birds for their poultry show. So does 4-H in Spokane. I may have an extra bird or two for your 4-H kiddo.

10. flower

flower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    Maybe not but they did hatch from blue eggs and were sold by a breeder of Ameraucana Bantams. And that is why I wanted to post and get opinions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by