Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
  2. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    That's because her birds are nice! [​IMG]

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:If I would have had room for them, they would have been gone quicker.

4. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Well that's not fair to those of us that aren't on at that time. [​IMG]

She should run 24 auctions in the auction format so at least us little ones get a chance! [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Ivywoods

Ivywoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Hiawatha, KS
    Yes, Jean's birds are nice! I have some lavenders and I love them. (Thanks so much Jean!) They are still in the awkward adolescent stage. I can't wait to see what they look like in a few months!

I've moved my older chicks to a grow out pen. The blacks and wheatens stay in the pen, but the silvers fly out. I thought I would be smart and clip their wings. The silvers STILL fly out like sparrows even with one wing clipped! None of my other varieties even attempt to fly out, but I swear these silvers must think they are "free birds." The silvers are starting to color up more, and I think they are going to be beautiful, but I think I'm going to have to hook a ball and chain to their legs to keep them contained. (Just kidding, of course!)

I'm really eager to see what my first ameraucana eggs look like. Then I can't wait to raise some more, and I want to raise some olive eggers... and then.... and then......

6. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    Quote:Ut oh, I see chicken math starting. LOL

Yes, her birds are wonderful. I have three of hers. They are sooo darn cute they are getting their own coop. I don't want anything to happen to them now or my OE Roo to fertilize their eggs in the future. Just holding out hope that I have 2 pullets and 1 cockeral and not the other way around.

(I have a lavender one too, and NO ONE beleives me that I have a purple chicken. I HAVE to get that film developed soon to show them)

7. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    I want to publicly thank Jean [Pips&Peeps] for the wonderful shipment of chicks I received today. [Too tired for pictures tonight.] I've always heard that the Silvers ran small, but judging from hatchling size, Jean certainly appears to have improoved on that!

8. dldolan

dldolan WineNChooks

Aug 11, 2010
    Sonoma County, CA
    Quote:Jeepers, glad I am not alone! Of my 12-week old Blehm birds, the two silvers are by far THE BEST flyers I have ever seen! Wowie! But, they are hysterically funny and sweeties to boot, so I hope they will STOP pretending to by migratory birds when they start laying. And they are smaller than the wheatons, lavs, and white Ams from the same shipment. Hmm...
    I am naming one Athena as she looked just like a little owl baby when I got her! [​IMG]

Here is her typical perky stance: "Put that phone thing down and I'll jump in your lap!"
    [​IMG]

9. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    Quote:Jeepers, glad I am not alone! Of my 12-week old Blehm birds, the two silvers are by far THE BEST flyers I have ever seen! Wowie! But, they are hysterically funny and sweeties to boot, so I hope they will STOP pretending to by migratory birds when they start laying. And they are smaller than the wheatons, lavs, and white Ams from the same shipment. Hmm...
    I am naming one Athena as she looked just like a little owl baby when I got her! [​IMG]

Here is her typical perky stance: "Put that phone thing down and I'll jump in your lap!"
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/65263_6-5-2011_5.jpg

Wow! She is beautiful! [​IMG] Thanks for sharing.

10. PetRock

PetRock Overrun With Chickens

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Our one Silver pullet from John Blehm is our best flyer, also! I wanted to name her Sparrow but DD 9 yrs old had her heart set on naming her Amelia Earhart. Monet is fascinated with her story so Amelia it is! [​IMG] She is also our smallest in this year's group of chicks even though she is the oldest. She's a sweetie but not quite a lap chicken yet. She would rather jump on my back when I bend over to pet someone else. She is also a little chatterbox. I need to take some new pics of her. All of our chicks have stained faces right now because our mulberries are ripe and they have been eating as many as they can get. Free food is good but stained faces and dark purple poop is not good! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by