Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. DFCottage

DFCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Montpelier, Virginia
    Hi all,
    I'm now getting into the world of black and wheaten/blue wheaten Ameraucanas, and have everything from chicks to 10 week olds right now. I've got 6 wheatens at the moment, but just picked up a cockerel (Gary Ramey) and was just offered another cockerel from John Blehm's line. The Blehm bird is pictured below. The current owner mentioned that she had never seen one before with such red already present in the hackles.. (er, soon to be hackles) is this normal? The other boys at home don't have it.. but I know John has nice stock so I'm not questioning his birds at all, but is this anything to be worried about now? I'd hate to pass him up... I think he's just lovely.. Thanks again for any input.

[​IMG]

2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    He looks pretty normal to me. John's line carries a mahogany looking color, his females are a bit darker also.

3. HiddenHill Heretic

HiddenHill Heretic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Santa Cruz, Caliphas
    Quote:Life ain't fair, girl... Especially for those of us on the West Coast... Notice how many auctions stop at 5 or 6 AM for us?

We will just have to take solace in the fact that we live on the best errrrr... west coast [​IMG][​IMG]

I have missed Jeans last 4 BIN extra left over auctions... Got to be on point and up early...

4. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Quote:Life ain't fair, girl... Especially for those of us on the West Coast... Notice how many auctions stop at 5 or 6 AM for us?

We will just have to take solace in the fact that we live on the best errrrr... west coast [​IMG][​IMG]

I have missed Jeans last 4 BIN extra left over auctions... Got to be on point and up early...

But I'm on the west coast.

5. LarissaCluck

LarissaCluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    Central Coast, CA
    I got one of Jean's auctions too. I had the fastest trigger finger on the mouse! I'm on west coast too...I just subscribed to the thread and stalked my email, lol.

The chicks are doing great btw. They are three weeks old and I'm trying to figure the wheatens out right now.

6. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Quote:Oh those are cute!!! I need to get some Lav ameraucanas next. So far I only have blues. They are one of my all time fav breeds. I haven't had a mean one yet [​IMG]
    I really think ameraucanas are the cutest babies with thier little fluffy cheeks. I hope someone takes them. I would if I lived closer.

7. dak

dak geek dvm

Mar 21, 2010
    Quote:Oh those are cute!!! I need to get some Lav ameraucanas next. So far I only have blues. They are one of my all time fav breeds. I haven't had a mean one yet [​IMG]
    I really think ameraucanas are the cutest babies with thier little fluffy cheeks. I hope someone takes them. I would if I lived closer.

Next time no personalized hatching without a deposit. [​IMG]

Seeing that I believe I am the only ABC member in my state, there really isn't others who will appreciate this breed/variety close. Hate to sell them on Craigslist, but lesson learned.

I could keep them myself, but I'm hatching Lav splits now from my Smith hens and am more interested in growing these birds out to make a dramatic improvement rather than a smaller incremental one.

8. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Quote:I have a Wheaten cockerel from John that is colored similarly. The two biggest things I've noticed is that his hackles are already very orange, with some black striping near the end of this hackles, he's still very young though so I'm wondering if those black marks might molt and and he have clear hackles? [​IMG]

The other thing I see in my guy that I haven't before is that his fluff around his butt and his legs has a lot of Wheaten/brown coloring to it, not the typically black fluff that you normally see in Wheaten birds. I'll try to get some pictures of Hoyt soon, I definitely will be holding on to him though to see how he matures.

ETA: Dawn and Debi, my Silvers from John are the most flighty birds I own, they act like they're on crack. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  9. DFCottage

DFCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Montpelier, Virginia
    Yeah, I feel like waiting until a molt is only fair to them.. this guy is colored a bit different than my Gary Ramey roo, so I'll have to take pics of them every month to see the changes and what they turn into.

I have a Silver Am pullet that is 8 wks old that I hatched out from John's lines (only chick out of 18 eggs.. I was ticked) and she is CRAZY. Any time I enter the pen she's straight up in the air squawking her head off. Beautiful bird, but just a tad on the nuts side [​IMG]

10. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    Ok I have a question for the ABC insiders...is there any word on the club points thing.... I'm very interested in hearing about this I think it would be a very cool thing and ME being so competitive would be all over this!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by