Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

How old are AMs before the cockerel combs show up? I have some hatched 11/10/13. Here are their photos. I kind of think that they are all pullets.

Also, you can barely tell but this one has a beak issue. It doesn't close just right. It does not interfere with her health that I can see but I wonder if it is genetic. This batch of BBS came from a really nice farm and I'm finding the genetics odd with one white bird, one black with white markings and one blue with a beak issue. Thoughts?

How old are AMs before the cockerel combs show up? I have some hatched 11/10/13. Here are their photos. I kind of think that they are all pullets.

Also, you can barely tell but this one has a beak issue. It doesn't close just right. It does not interfere with her health that I can see but I wonder if it is genetic. This batch of BBS came from a really nice farm and I'm finding the genetics odd with one white bird, one black with white markings and one blue with a beak issue. Thoughts?
All looked like pullets to me ask well. My cockerel had a redder comb at this age and the comb was slightly more prominent. Each hatch I have done, there is at least one chick with defects. My first hatch, I believe was the time I had one with a vitamin definciancy (which can be corrected). The same hatch I had one with either a little tumor or hernia, I forget which I decided it was. And then another hatch I had two cross beaks. These were from different sources too, by the way. You shouldn't breed chickens with cross beaks as they could pass it to their offspring. I would think you would follow the same suit with VD, as I think that could be passed on also. And I would certaintly not breed one with a tumor/hernia. I would think the bird would die soon after beginning to lay, if it didn't get egg bound. My only lived 3 days. Just a side not the one with a tumor was a bantam, all the others were LF. Anyways just a peace of advice, only breed the strongest stock. Don't let the weak pass on their bad genetics.

All looked like pullets to me ask well. My cockerel had a redder comb at this age and the comb was slightly more prominent. Each hatch I have done, there is at least one chick with defects. My first hatch, I believe was the time I had one with a vitamin definciancy (which can be corrected). The same hatch I had one with either a little tumor or hernia, I forget which I decided it was. And then another hatch I had two cross beaks. These were from different sources too, by the way. You shouldn't breed chickens with cross beaks as they could pass it to their offspring. I would think you would follow the same suit with VD, as I think that could be passed on also. And I would certaintly not breed one with a tumor/hernia. I would think the bird would die soon after beginning to lay, if it didn't get egg bound. My only lived 3 days. Just a side not the one with a tumor was a bantam, all the others were LF. Anyways just a peace of advice, only breed the strongest stock. Don't let the weak pass on their bad genetics.
Thank you! I have no intention to breed the one with the beak issue. I wonder though about that white. She is from BBS stock. Will she throw white? Also the black isn't pure black, she has white spots on her wings. Strange. I've never seen BBS who just wern't BBS. The only correct color is the blue and she has a beak problem.

Some blacks have white on the tips of the wings..they moult out usually.
That white is probably a splash or possibly a sport and could be important to a breeding program..hang on to it..

They are too young to judge conformation..they have cute faces so far..

Some blacks have white on the tips of the wings..they moult out usually.
That white is probably a splash or possibly a sport and could be important to a breeding program..hang on to it..

They are too young to judge conformation..they have cute faces so far..
Thank you for the encouragement about the white!

Thank you for the encouragement about the white!

I'm just new to the breed, but I didn't see a black in the bunch. I saw a blue pullet, a white or maybe even a splash pullet (I thought it looked like some grey color on the head) and a dark blue that might even be a cockerel. That's what I saw, but as I mentioned, I'm really a novice.

I've been told that those white feathers often just molt out. Something like that can happen because something goes wrong as the feather is growing and normal pigment is not laid down. It might just molt out.

Back
Top Bottom