Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Now comes the Splashes. Not sure but I am thinking one pullet and two cockerels, but I am hoping it is the other way around.

Pictures 1 and 2 are of the one I think is a pullet.

3 & 4 are of the I am not sure bird, but hoping a pullet.

This one I think is a cockerel. The red you see is not a feather, it is poo from all the excitement of getting your picture taken.

Again, I would appreciate your comments.

Oh dear Mrs. Bachbach,..so sorry to hear that.......it can be frustrating.
. I never expected my Rita to be so Henny Pennyish. I had always read that the Ameraucana did not produce many eggs, seldom went broody etc.  Well she has been a very consistent egg layer. And she is the only hen to go broody so far out of my 3 girls.  I also have a Plymouth Barred Rock and a Buff Orpington. Neither of those 2 have gone broody and they are all the same age....about 7 months old! They all get along very well together...a great bunch of girls!  :cd  

Well, I have about eighteen hens so four isn't a great many of them but this time of the year it drives me nuts. If I had private pen space for the hens to raise some chicks I would just let them do so, but I don't. The broodies always go in the favorite egg laying spot and then other birds have to wait or pile on top to get their eggs laid. :p
Seven months old is a bit young for a bird to go broody so you may still get one. :lol:

Now comes the Splashes. Not sure but I am thinking one pullet and two cockerels, but I am hoping it is the other way around. Pictures 1 and 2 are of the one I think is a pullet. 3 & 4 are of the I am not sure bird, but hoping a pullet. This one I think is a cockerel. The red you see is not a feather, it is poo from all the excitement of getting your picture taken. Again, I would appreciate your comments.
How old are they? You can also tell the males because their combs will turn pink before the females. I can't tell from the feathers at this point. Just from what I can see from the combs, I'd say the first pic is a pullet, the rest are cockerals.

My Ameraucanas are 5 wks old and I would like some opinions on sex and any other thing you can see. I am going to post my wheatens first and I would like to know if they are both Blue Wheaten or is the one I think is a pullet is just Wheaten. I think the first one is a pullet. Same chick as #1 I am thinking this one may be a roo but I have gone back and forth with it. Another picture of #3 I would appreciate any comments.
First two pics look like a pullet, can't tell anything from pic three, but last picture is a blue. Can't see enough of the comb to decide, but the color looks like a female? Well, looking at pic 3, the comb looks pink so I would say a male.

Last edited:
Now comes the Splashes. Not sure but I am thinking one pullet and two cockerels, but I am hoping it is the other way around.

Pictures 1 and 2 are of the one I think is a pullet.

3 & 4 are of the I am not sure bird, but hoping a pullet.

This one I think is a cockerel. The red you see is not a feather, it is poo from all the excitement of getting your picture taken.

Again, I would appreciate your comments.

Try the tail feather method . Males will have shot tails and females grow a tail faster . They may already be too old for this . I can not tell much about the tails in these pictures .

Back
Top Bottom