Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

I just saw on another site that there is going to be several 'special called meets' in North Carolina this fall. Are these a show??? Would this be a place to buy birds or meet breeders, or is this more of a club business meeting??? Thanks....stan

Meets are sometimes called by members of the club. A meet is a show. I have been to two and both times there was an APA show and the Ameraucana meet. Sometimes many different breeds of chickens are there also having their own "meets". There may be only one ABC member showing or there may be several. You can probably show and compete with your own Ameraucanas at the APA show (if there is one), but I'm really not sure if you have to be a member of the club to participate in the ABC meet. I'm sure someone else can answer that question.

But yes, it would be the place to meet breeders and buy birds. Some do bring birds to sell at these shows.

Thank you for trying. I'll try and get better pics in a day or two; Overall it is a very very pale grey color with a dark feather here and there. I'll have to look closer at the wings, at the moment couldn't tell you if there is any real white there or not.

They can appear a pale grey color early on, but by the time they are about four months old those feathers should be white with splashes of blue.

Btw, that is a splash male in my avatar.

Last edited:
At what age can I evaluate my chicks better for actual APA standards? I bought some bkue and some black fertilized eggs. They are 5 weeks old now. I'm not happy with their cheeks but their colors seem true to breed.

Meets are sometimes called by members of the club. A meet is a show. I have been to two and both times there was an APA show and the Ameraucana meet. Sometimes many different breeds of chickens are there also having their own "meets". There may be only one ABC member showing or there may be several. You can probably show and compete with your own Ameraucanas at the APA show (if there is one), but I'm really not sure if you have to be a member of the club to participate in the ABC meet. I'm sure someone else can answer that question.

But yes, it would be the place to meet breeders and buy birds. Some do bring birds to sell at these shows.

Thanks...I guess the next step for me is to join the ABC so I can post on their page to see about arranging to meet some breeders in my area. I think I understand what a meet is... it's a club show with-in a APA show so club points can be awarded??

Thanks...I guess the next step for me is to join the ABC so I can post on their page to see about arranging to meet some breeders in my area. I think I understand what a meet is... it's a club show with-in a APA show so club points can be awarded??

Yes, I believe so. I'm not sure though if you have to be a member to participate in a show, but from what I understand, you have to be a member to receive any of their rewards. You should be able to contact breeders in your area by looking under the breeders directory link on the webpage. You don't have to be a member to access that. There is also a link for upcoming shows.

At what age can I evaluate my chicks better for actual APA standards? I bought some bkue and some black fertilized eggs. They are 5 weeks old now. I'm not happy with their cheeks but their colors seem true to breed.

There are some things that can be evaluated early and others at a later date. Usually, muffs can be evaluated at hatch and proper foot pad color or skin color. At the age they are now, it is not unusual for their muffs to disappear. If they had muffs at hatch, they will have them when they are done feathering out, so don't cull for that now. Also, wait on split wing. Some can appear to have it as they grow, but all feathers should be there when they are done feathering out. Obvious defects can be culled. Things like eye color takes time, combs take time, leg color takes time, tail carriage takes some time, type, etc. I have had blacks with white feathers in wings and around muffs and comb that later filled in black. I think by seven months you can evaluate your birds fully, maybe a little earlier. Some mature faster than others. I have heard some colors like the wheaten variety take more time, especially the males.

Last edited:
Here's Divine, she's 8 weeks old and obviously patriotic!
[/B]

Here's Divine, she's 8 weeks old and obviously patriotic!
[/B]
Are you SURE that is a SHE.... Looks like a HE to me. I had an Easter Egger roo that looked a lot like that guy. I don't know if I have ever seen a pullet that color before. I have not had EE in a good long time so I could be wrong.

I don't have the links handy but maybe someone can post a link or 2 to the EE threads.

My big blue roo Horatio, hatched from eggs from the Gardners-
IMG_4526.jpg

IMG_4571.jpg

My black roo, Hamlet, hatched from eggs from the Gardners-
IMG_4608.jpg

IMG_4611.jpg

My black hen Beatrice, hatched in May from Cree Farms eggs-
IMG_4536.jpg

I don't have a really good picture of my blue hen or of the three BBS babies. They are all too zippy to get a good picture!

Your blacks look nice, hcammack! Don't you just love the irridescence of the feathers? They look like walking stained glass windows!
smile.png
Your chickens are beautiful! I have an ameroucana hen! She isn't a purebred! She is broody at the moment and she is hatching18 eggs!! Cant wait for them all to hatch.

Are you SURE that is a SHE.... Looks like a HE to me. I had an Easter Egger roo that looked a lot like that guy. I don't know if I have ever seen a pullet that color before. I have not had EE in a good long time so I could be wrong. I don't have the links handy but maybe someone can post a link or 2 to the EE threads.

Back
Top Bottom