Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Quote:
Very cool. He told me via email that his hatching season was done so he unloaded 3 quads of lavender bantams and 3 quads of Silver bantams. I hope my 4 come tomorrow! They should. they shipped out yesterday sometime. What colors did you get! I'm dying for Buff Bantams but I can't seem to get my hands on any and plus I don't need to build another pen (although I already am for some White Silkies!)

Hope they come tomorrow for you!

I got silvers, lavenders and some wheatens, so no buffs.

I am trying to unwind, that was freaking stressful trying to find space for that many chicks and get them warm, fed, and watered while I tried to set up my big brooder and get the temp right. Next time tell a lady before you send that many chicks! LOL.

They are all comfy now in my big box brooder. And super cute. Have had to put a few down though that were weak and getting trampled and seemed to be in the process of dying
sad.png
All lavenders of course.
sad.png
sad.png

Ok quick question::: Is a half inch mesh on the brooder box too big for the banties? Most seem to be OK but some of the tiny chicks get their legs through every once in a while. I can't seem to be able to use the troughs on the sides yet either because they seem like they would be too small to reach (will post this in the chick forum too, I am just an anxious mommy today, I have had chicks before but never this many at once.)

These are my John Blehm Ameraucana's that went out for their first foray today! (Yes, there are two SS and one Chantecler in there as well.) They were so funny! And the white cockerel jumped on my lap to have a better view to look around! The two silvers were hysterical, hopping out, hopping in, hopping out, hopping in...

65263_march_chicks_first_time_outside_25.jpg

65263_march_chicks_first_time_outside_27.jpg

65263_march_chicks_first_time_outside_1.jpg

65263_march_chicks_first_time_outside_17.jpg

65263_march_chicks_first_time_outside_30.jpg

Quote:
What a nice variety! I haven't let my chicks from this year out yet. I am in the process of building a big grow out pen, but am not finished and right now it's raining.
barnie.gif
I've got the older chicks in some step-up pens, but I'm eager to get them out. I'm also eager to see what I've got in the line of roosters and pullets. The only ones I can tell for sure are the weaties, of course. I've got wheaten, black silver, one buff and some younger lavenders.

Quote:
It seems to me 3/8 was recommended for bantam i think by John don't quote me though. But i am 99% sure 3/8 is what i was told

3/8 is what I have used when I built brooders in the past. I will be building some again this coming year, and that is what I will use again.

Quote:
It seems to me 3/8 was recommended for bantam i think by John don't quote me though. But i am 99% sure 3/8 is what i was told

3/8 is what I have used when I built brooders in the past. I will be building some again this coming year, and that is what I will use again.

Thank you guys! Maybe I'll just go out and buy some smaller mesh to put over the mesh in their currently for a week or two. Most the chicks seem to be doing alright, but there are a few of the tinier ones that are having some problems occasionally getting a leg stuck.

Quote:
What a nice variety! I haven't let my chicks from this year out yet. I am in the process of building a big grow out pen, but am not finished and right now it's raining.
barnie.gif
I've got the older chicks in some step-up pens, but I'm eager to get them out. I'm also eager to see what I've got in the line of roosters and pullets. The only ones I can tell for sure are the weaties, of course. I've got wheaten, black silver, one buff and some younger lavenders.

Thanks Ivywoods and HappyMtn. This is my first foray with Ameraucanas, and they are so, so interesting, as well as beautiful! It rained here Monday and Tuesday, but yesterday and today were in the 70's, so these kids got to go out after I put my adult group away for the evening. They stay pretty close to me. I suppose I am the protector rooster for them?!?
cool.png
I am training them to come in when they hear the rainstick shake and I call "treats", so getting them back in after an hour was easy, and it was sunset. Good planning...
wink.png

Jeremy, the wheatons are so very pretty! Wow. Now I ended up with more girls than I expected!

So, some genetics help?? What happens if you cross a white bird with...anything? Say the silver or wheaton? (The white cockerel is so gorgeous, I am trying to figure out how to keep him...)

Thanks, y'all!

Back
Top Bottom