Ameraucanas & Marans - buy now or in the spring- Advice help needed

blackbirds13

Songster
9 Years
Jun 29, 2010
Southern New Hampshire
So...I've decided that I really want to keep just 2 breeds - Black and Blue Ameraucanas and Black and Blue Copper Marans. Right now I have 1 Plymouth Rock, 1 Barred Rock, 2 hatchery New Hampshires and an Easter Egger Pair all of which will go next year when my new batch start laying (the Plymouth Rock may stay). I hatched out 5 Ameraucanas of which I can positively identify on ly 1 black female and 2 blue males (1 with no beard or muffs so he's a goner for sure) I am hoping one if not both of the other 2 (dk blue and black) are females but they look more and more like males. I had planned on keeping just the girls for now until my spring purchase of Ams were sorted and ready. So here's my predicament.
I was going to order birds from Paul Smith for next spring - 15 BBS and 10 from Greenfire - Black Copper marans - none of these birds are cheap (the Ams are upwards of $100 and the Marans upwards of $150 both include shipping ) but I want to start with good birds. but am feeling the itch for some Marans now. I am thinking about buying a pair of juveniles from another BYC'er but the shipping is so much that I think I should just invest that cost in chicks next spring. Money is and isn't an issue - I'll spend the money for good birds because I do believe you get what you pay for.

So should I just hold on to my single black Ameraucana female and keep one Blue roo and hope for another female in the bunch and buy a breeding pair of Juveniles now and go with that or
should I wait and hold off until spring and just buy the chicks and take it from there. I am pretty sold on buying the Paul Smith birds - the checks in the mail as they say. I 'know' I should just stop now and spend my money on the spring birds...just looking for external will power I guess.

Go to Hodge's farm site. BBS Ameraucanas are $5 or $6 each, and they also have BBS copper marans. Delivered in a few weeks. You should have them laying by spring- that's what I just did. I already have ameraucanas, but not completely happy with my stock. Thought it best to get a head start instead of waiting until next fall to get eggs.
wink.png

Thanks HappyMtn. Just checked out their website. There are so many options - Wondering if I am getting too caught up in having Paul Smith and Bev Davis birds as I would think they'd be an awesome starting point... my husband keeps telling me that after a few cycles they'll just be my birds anyway. Not sure I want to start with 12 birds this late in the season. Don't think the coop could handle the load and I know I'll be dying to buy birds in the spring and these look good. I love BYC - so much to see and learn. What to do - what to do?

Ok, since you said you WANTED external will power...lol...WAIT! Don't rush into anything...spend the winter doing your research. If it's Smith and Davis birds you still really want in the spring, then it's Smith and Davis birds you should get. Don't settle for something else because you want something now, or you'll regret it later. It has taken me a lot of buying and selling to learn this same lesson, which has really set me back as far as time goes..
hmm.png

And yes, they would be awesome birds to start with, and in my opinion, quality is something worth getting caught up in...

Last edited:
I think Hodge's marans are davis/jean lines. The ameraucanas are ribbeck's (pips&peeps). The chicks I got are lovely- and they included extras. If you don't want to worry about wintering babies, then wait. For me- I'd rather have more birds laying in spring and I can sell any extras before I start hatching from the best birds.

Here's the link if anyone wants it: http://hodgesfarms.net/

This has been extremely helpful. Think I will indeed hold the line for now and wait until spring and buy the birds I really want
smile.png
- Cloverleaf, Pinkchick and HappyMtn - Thanks for taking the time out to respond...It's hard throwing ideas around when you're the only 'crazy chicken lady' you know. (my husband's words)
tongue.png

Quote:
Even my 9 year old son (who is just as chicken obsessed as I am, BTW) calls my crazy chicken lady! LOL That's one reason why I love this forum so much, so many people like me, and so many WORSE than me! LOL
lau.gif
Crazy Chicken Ladies UNITE!
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom