Ameraucanas or something else?

g12ace

In the Brooder
Jun 15, 2023
Hi all, I'm new to chicken keeping. I was looking for blue egg laying chickens and I bought these from a breeder in NJ, and she said they were Ameraucanas. I'm very confused because they don't look like Ameraucanas pictures I've found online at all. They don't have muffs and beards, and their general shape looks wrong. Can anyone tell if they are Ameraucanas? They're 10 weeks old, so haven't started laying eggs yet.

Attachments

• IMG_3776.HEIC.jpeg
    IMG_3776.HEIC.jpeg
    518.1 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_3740.jpeg
    IMG_3740.jpeg
    589.8 KB · Views: 38
To me it looks like an OE pullet, and two Red Sex Link pullets
😭 I already have two OE from her, and now I don't have space in my coop for more chickens, but I really wanted Ameraucanas. I feel like crap and like I was lied to on purpose. You'd think she knew. Now she's yelling at me for complaining, because they're beautiful birds. But it's not what I expected. This is so unfair.

Definitely try to return them! It's far too common for people to sell EEs or OEs as ameraucanas

😭 I already have two OE from her, and now I don't have space in my coop for more chickens, but I really wanted Ameraucanas. I feel like crap and like I was lied to on purpose. You'd think she knew. Now she's yelling at me for complaining, because they're beautiful birds. But it's not what I expected. This is so unfair.

I'm so sorry. She does not seem like a very good breeder if she sold you those as Ameraucana, and on top of that is yelling at you for it. I'd not let it slide

Sorry about that, and unfortunately we see so much of it here from small breeders and large hatcheries a like. I don't think most folks are malicious, but some certainly are and that seems like the case here.

A started pullet, like you have here (thank goodness they aren't cockerels) are usually pretty desirable on Craigslist and in my area, fetch $20 or so a piece.

For marketing purposes, those look like "golden comets" (the orange ones) and fluffy is right on the OE. Possible legbar and cuckoo Maran influence.

Lastly, finding real ameraucana chicks or chickens is getting to be very, very difficult - and the sellers marker is rife with dishonesty. @CaliforniaMountainChicks has good ameraucana sourcing resources.

If you are just after a nice blue egg, a crested cream legbar is a great bird, and is also "autosexing" so you can tell males from females at hatch. They also have a very cute tuft on their head, like your black pullet there.

Back
Top Bottom