Amerecauna, right?

Quote:
the cutest, I'm just hoping for a purebred one. Every where I look it says this is the purebred pattern and coloring. Also, EE means an amerecauna or aracauna hybrid with some other chicken that still has the blue egg laying gene, right?

Yes that is true, and breeders of true Ameraucanas label EE's as birds with DQ's or faults that usually tend to be culled from their breeding flock.

I have an EE hen who was supposed to be a Salmon (color in progress). She has a blue wheaten type color like a BW cockerel might have, though she has slate legs and proper eye color for a true Ameraucana. I call her an EE because she is not an accepted color, although her sire I think may have been a blue wheaten, which is a color raised by the breeder who was working on Salmon. Whatever you'd call her, a non-standard Ameraucana or EE, she is a great bird who lays monstrous green eggs. EEs can come in such wild colors, sometimes completely unexpected.

got it from a very reliable feed store, they are almost always correct in their breed selection. they even have their own chart for breed labeling that they have created.

Quote:
so they are just hybrids of amerecaunas or aracaunas that do not have to lay blue eggs but sometimes can?

So would my Sultan/amerecauna crosses technically be EE's?

Where did your feed store get them? If they got them from a hatchery then you more than likely have ee's. Hatcheries aren't breeders and don't breed for correct color, conformation, etc.... their 'ameraucanas' do not fit the breed standard so they are really ee's.

An ee can be a direct cross of an ameraucana or araucana or an ee crossed with something else (so there is always a percentage of a blue egg layer in the lineage). You will probably have to wait until your chicks feather out to see if you have an actual ameraucana in a recognized color. Here's a link: http://www.ameraucana.org/scrapbook.html

Ameraucanas
must have muffs, beards, slate legs and lay BLUE eggs.

Quote:
so they are just hybrids of amerecaunas or aracaunas that do not have to lay blue eggs but sometimes can?

So would my Sultan/amerecauna crosses technically be EE's?

Well, this can be a touchy subject and I do not intend to get into most of this discussion since it always turns south, but I will say this. I have a BR rooster over blue Ameraucana (true Ameraucana from breeder) who looks like a BR with white legs, odd modified pea comb, no beard or muffs, (though her sisters and brothers owned by other folks mostly have beards and muffs). She lays green eggs. She has proper skin color and eye color for an Ameraucana. I call her an Easter Egger since she actually has more proper traits for an Ameraucana than some hatchery EEs I've seen. If she was crossed with a brown egg laying rooster, her daughters would consist of some brown and some green egglayers, just like many hatchery EEs.

The folks to ask are the Ameraucana breeders here. Feedstores are woefully ignorant (not stupid, just uninformed) about the breeds. They tell customers what the hatcheries tell them, and that is mostly wrong on this subject. In fact, one feedstore owner here raises her own chickens and tells folks more strange stuff than anyone who knows nothing about chickens. She gets thousands of birds from Ideal every year and labels the EEs as AmerIcanas that lay blue eggs. I imagine folks are disappointed when they get brown eggs or try to show those birds and have them disqualified.

Back
Top Bottom